AuthorTopic: Lineart Exchange. Because I only like doing half the work.  (Read 356931 times)

Offline Perciv@l

• View Profile
    • www.prr-art.com

Re: Lineart Exchange. Because I only like doing half the work.

Reply #250 on: March 23, 2006, 02:27:25 pm
First off: Holy crap. Beautiful palette, nice use of it and wonderfully made overall. I really enjoy what you did with the eyes, it's exactly the kind of dead dark circles I was hoping for. Just a few things are off or could be improved, for example the light purple being used to aa the outline to the background isn't doing anything. It doesn't smooth anything, and I'd say you've have better luck with just removing it. You could've cut into the lines a bit with aa to get them to look less chunky, like on the shoulder in the shadow. Overall though, it's really great to look at. Loving the mood of it.
Thanks.

I put the purple for the AA because was the closest color. Then I look at it and I thought: "or it makes a slightly difference or simply makes nothing, so why not keep it anyway, nobody will see it".

Now I realize that would be easier if I just added another color for the AA. So here is how it looks now:

And here is a version with what I think you would have done with his eyes:
« Last Edit: March 23, 2006, 09:02:32 pm by Perciv@l »

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Reply #251 on: March 24, 2006, 03:01:40 am
Colored Turbo's line art.

Not sure if I completely like it. :P

Well, i do :), it's very flattering of you to spend time on this. Nice colors, and the texture looks good. I think it works better on the arms and lower body, because it seems to follow the shape and volume of the body there and is more "ordered", but on the top of the body it looks a bit random. And the highlights work well on the bottom tail, but i don't understand why you added them between the mid-tones and darkest shades on the arms and upper body. Maybe adding highlights on the scales at the top would improve, i dunno.

Offline Sohashu

• View Profile

Reply #252 on: March 24, 2006, 06:19:40 am

I made this while bored.  JUst a pattern.
Back from hiatus, just remembered how excellent this community is at forming technique in a fledgeling artist of any kind.

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #253 on: March 24, 2006, 12:29:56 pm
was watching southpark, the episode where they make fun of anime, and it had a pretty cool pose, so i traced it:
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Sohashu

• View Profile

Reply #254 on: March 24, 2006, 12:42:21 pm

I love that.  Gotta watch southpark more.
Back from hiatus, just remembered how excellent this community is at forming technique in a fledgeling artist of any kind.

Offline Aleiav

• I like my coffee black just like my metal.
    • View Profile
    • Gothiclola (dot) Net

Reply #255 on: March 24, 2006, 10:20:22 pm
Colored Turbo's line art.

Not sure if I completely like it. :P

Well, i do :), it's very flattering of you to spend time on this. Nice colors, and the texture looks good. I think it works better on the arms and lower body, because it seems to follow the shape and volume of the body there and is more "ordered", but on the top of the body it looks a bit random. And the highlights work well on the bottom tail, but i don't understand why you added them between the mid-tones and darkest shades on the arms and upper body. Maybe adding highlights on the scales at the top would improve, i dunno.

I worked on this a bit more:

I'm still not sure how the light would fall on the bottom tail. I think when I figure that out it'll look better.

Offline Badassbill

• View Profile
    • pixelbab

Reply #256 on: March 25, 2006, 02:00:15 pm

Had a crack at Turbo's Lineart.

Offline Faktablad

• grow
    • View Profile
    • Couchpixel

Reply #257 on: March 25, 2006, 02:22:57 pm

I'm still not sure how the light would fall on the bottom tail. I think when I figure that out it'll look better.
I'd say give it more form, less texture.  Define the shape a little more, using the colors not just to draw scales, but to show the shape of the lizard.

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Reply #258 on: March 25, 2006, 03:24:39 pm
Had a crack at Turbo's Lineart.

I'm diggin' da lumps :). Really nice texture (must be a bit of a pain to texture that lumpy pattern individually). The colors are nice too, i get some "magic/fantasy" vibes from this blueish green. I love how the belly skin's texture looks altogether different from the rest of the body, the shininess of the surface. That twist on the lower half looks kind of odd... perhaps making the curve of the brighter skin part more pronounced would make it better? Also, adding some shadows cast from the arms of head on the torso would give it more depth. Those spots on the tail shading are nice too, but suggest a smoother texture, different than the one at the top (just a nitpick really).

The scales' highlights add more depth, looking better, and the shading has improved. As Faktablad suggested, you could now start suggesting more volume, by making larger highlights where light strikes the surface with greater intensity, and smaller and smaller as it fades (fading near the edges of the body). Look at an orange, or think of a cilinder. The upper and middle torso would benefit this most, for they are the bulkier parts of the lizzard thing. I like your colors, but you could afterwards play with their saturations a bit and make a few hue shifts (make the highlights less saturated, shift the dark tones towards purple, or blue, etc), just for the fun of it :)

On the tail, you could just add some shading on the bottom and no highlights, or you could add a secondary light source, shining from below.

Offline Matriax

• View Profile
    • MATRIAX PIXEL GRAPHICS

Reply #259 on: March 25, 2006, 10:15:18 pm
Well i contribution:

This line-arts not are my, are from ARACHNE . i saved all the line-art post in the old pixelation, her create a similiar thread with line-arts.

And i making this: