AuthorTopic: platform rpg mock-up  (Read 4944 times)

Offline Dirteater

• View Profile

platform rpg mock-up

on: September 12, 2007, 10:27:07 pm
short story kept short still, i started a while ago to pixel a few random things because me and a friend are going to create a online beat-em up RPG.

So i attempted to slap up some stuff for the game, intitally i was going for a more detailed background, and chibi styled characters.

Aside from that, i thought i might post my progress as ive noticed everyone gets awesome feedback here and pretty much all the times comes out alot better than they were at the start of a project.

I dont want to keep the blue floors, i just did that so i could get a shape for them, but im actually struggling on how to make the character, keeping the chibi style but can look as cool as ever.

I mainly need to get the basics done so we can code an offline version with probably 3 enemies and a basic world. Not aiming to high for now, but most defernately will progress onto an online version when its all perfected :D

any critism is awesome and im gunna post any updates i make :D

Offline lilwing

• View Profile

Re: platform rpg mock-up

Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 12:38:10 am
that doesn't look anything like an RPG. am i missing something?

each item in this piece has its own perspective, making it look very odd. try drawing with perspective points if you really want that 3 dimensional look, otherwise keep it strictly 2d.

all the rounded things just have jaggies, and pictures of this resolution really *need* antialiasing.

Offline Dirteater

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 02:05:42 am
Ah yea, ive been looking at it for a while so ive gotten used to the different perspectives lol Now i look at it i can see where ive gone wrong, ill get those fixed and post the updates tomorow :D thanks man

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 11:08:27 am
You're working extremely large, I think it's kind of a pain working with stuff this size. Your chances of acually using some good pixel-pushing are diminishing. If you're going for that 'cute pixelly look', redo the thing in a much smaller size.

And of course, don't start working with perspective lines, if you did, you'd have to give each environment its unique tiles depending on perspective/size. And that'd never work.

Anyways, I am really liking the blobs and the pastel colours, but it all just feels too blown up. I can't give good crits on it as it is.
' _ '

Offline Dirteater

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 03:23:01 pm
Defernately true, thats for advise btw :)

do you mean around this size or smaller?

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #5 on: September 13, 2007, 10:19:15 pm
I would say the blob is a good size  :y:, but the platforms still look like they go back too far, which makes it uncomfortable to look at.  [/my2cents]
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline Dirteater

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: September 14, 2007, 02:55:29 pm
hmm yea, not sure how im going to do the grass, just debating on a style. Shouldnt take me long too think :O i hope

Offline jedzed

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 08:23:51 pm
Hmm, i'm not quite sure on it, it's kinda confusing to look at, for starters the platforms need to be further back and need atleast 3 more colours if you want background items on the platform aka. the boxes, and also the boxes need diagonal lines on it's top side to fit in since the platforms have.

Really you only need one light source currently you have one top right one top left and one top.

Also everything needs to be alot neater, you got alot of "jaggy's" and everything needs to be desperately A-A'd but overall the concept of it all is quite promising... so good work ^_^

Ahhhh.... almost forgot, I'm quite happy to help you on the project Tom.
and since your going for a more chibi look i made a more chibi looking blob. (Quite happy for you to use it.)

I really did not have the time to add more colours, shade and A-A the rest but heres my edit.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 09:30:12 pm by jedzed »