AuthorTopic: Hi all, looking for some help.  (Read 7778 times)

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Hi all, looking for some help.

on: November 15, 2005, 12:30:35 am
This post is a bit different from the usual, as I'm not looking for crits here, but rather animaton examples.
I'm looking for someone or someones, to post links to run cycles that they think would be applicable to the following sprite:

Feel free however to post comments and crits if you'd like.

Updates:

>

« Last Edit: November 17, 2005, 06:48:26 am by Faceless »

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Re: Hi all, looking for some help.

Reply #1 on: November 15, 2005, 12:35:13 am

The cartoony run style from kingdom hearts is always nice to use on small or cartoony sprites. The longer the character stays in the air, the bouncier your animation will get, which is helpful...

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 15, 2005, 08:28:07 am

Not quite as nice as Square's... :p
I can't decide if the hair's overdone or not...

Anyone got anything else for me?

Offline MadToaster

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 15, 2005, 11:32:14 am
http://www.idleworm.com/how/anm/02w/walk1.shtml

As the author of this tutorial says, You would have to pay through the nose at an art school for this information. But for us it's free. >:D

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 15, 2005, 11:57:09 am
I've seen that before, but lost the link somewhere along the road so thanks MT.
I'm trying to learn through practice rather than theory though, so any fitting sprite references would be really nice, so I can analyze them, and then incorporate their motions onto my sprite. I figure if I do enough of them, some it'll get ingrained into my brain what works and doesnt.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #5 on: November 15, 2005, 01:08:27 pm
The problem with the animation you made is that for a proper run, both legs need to leave the ground in between the steps. You can easily change this by moving certain frames some pixels up. You've got to study the head movement, as this is THE most important part about a run cycle. Yours only moves like 1 pixel up and down and the sprite is larger. A run works from the head, not the feet. (walk cycles work from the legs though).

Small Edit:

My edit fixes lots of things, but the body on mine is still too big. To get rid of the stiffness the body would need to crunch to suggest inclination of the torso. I had to make the animation 3pixels higher too, so now it's 51px high. By using the inclination you could get the whole thing back in the 48px too...

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 15, 2005, 01:18:54 pm
Aha, you're definitely right, but I am restraining myself to that 32x48 canvas, so I'll try your suggestion about inclination.
Also, you haven't actually edited the pixels in the frames have you? Just moved what was already there?

Edit: Forget those last questions...
« Last Edit: November 15, 2005, 01:23:39 pm by Faceless »

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #7 on: November 15, 2005, 03:18:34 pm
I changed frames 3, 4, 7 and 8 if I'm not mistaken, the rest should be about the same. Now if only I would find the front run animation of KH...

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: November 15, 2005, 07:41:31 pm
How's this, Gil?
http://gsarchives.net/index2.php?category=all&system=gameboyadvance&game=kingdom_hearts_chain_of_memories&type=sprites&level0=animated&level1=playable

I really like Gils edit; big improvement. The arms are still a little jerky, though. The arm positions don't seem to sync with the leg positions so well. Not sure if I wrote that too good, so what I mean is the legs are basically going from the leg is behind goemon, to the leg is out front with the remaining frames used to soften the actions a little.  Your arms are on the other hand going from back, to middle, to front. They don't have the same forcefulness and extremity of the keyframes as the legs. Hope That is at least sort of clearer. I gotta look through that animation link and find someof the actual terms for this stuff I want to say.

The run kinda reminds me of link's run from the minnish cap. Here's a link for that http://gsarchives.net/index2.php?category=all&system=gameboyadvance&game=legend_of_zelda_the_minish_cap&type=sprites&level0=animated&level1=playable

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: November 15, 2005, 08:39:23 pm
Thanks heaps Gil, I tried to apply what you were talking about without breaking the 32x48 canvas, you be the judge of whether or not I succeeded...

At the very least, I think it's an improvement.

I swear I used to be better at animation than this... maybe I remember wrongly though. :P
Thanks for the link crab.
I'm not really sure what you mean with the arms, they do sync with the leg positions, but I'll be the first to admit they are a bit jerky...
So I'll tweak them some more when I get home from my exam. (I made that ^ last night, but didn't get around to posting.)