AuthorTopic: Ocarina of Time, Link Pixel Art  (Read 7329 times)

Offline Mirre

• Pokémon Trainer
    • View Profile
    • LINNEART

Re: Ocarina of Time, Link Pixel Art

Reply #10 on: September 12, 2007, 02:43:32 pm
If you keep it up I think you will learn alot from working with this piece. There is good improvement so far.

There are a few anathomical errors that you might want to address. He doesn't have a neck for example, but most people don not have their heads attached directly to their shoulders. He also doesn't have knees (might be easier to edit this with shading). I'd suggest that you make his tunic a bit shorter and the legs slightly longer so that the knees are visible. The boots also look very narrow around the shins, so you might want to make them a bit fatter there, to show that his trousers (tights) are actually tucked into them. There is a very huge difference between his shoulders and then very slim over-arms, maybe make them a pixel or two wider? I would also suggest that you work some more on the face, making it slightly smaller, giving him a bit more realistic eyes (with whites in the eyes), a nose, and also either some hair at the sides of his face or ears. You have done a great job with the detail on the shield, but to weigh up the piece you need to add more details overall. First off - to make the clothing look less flat, you can study folds and try to apply them to the clothes. Just google "skirts", "shirts" or "tunic" and I'm sure you'll find some photo reference.

Offline Norlem

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: September 12, 2007, 08:01:41 pm
Thanks for that critizm mirre, about the fold i am gonna try to study some pixel art, becouse i dont know how i am gonna make folds look realistic, anyone happen to have a good reference pic? and about the hair i am gonna add ears, and make the face a bit thinner at the sheek, aswell as add a bit of a neck, also gonna try to work on the tunic making it shorter and i am gonna try to shade so you see the knees could use a reference pixel art of a good way to show that aswell.. anyway thanks everyone i am gonna keep it up! ;D

Offline philjones

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: September 12, 2007, 08:24:42 pm
A few things:

- His hair does not seem to be casting enough shadow on his head.  Both adding more and slightly darkening what you already have would probably do the trick.
- More contrast in general to the skin tones would add more definition to the shape of the face.  You could also try adding in a nose using the darker skin tone.
- Perhaps try your hand at anti-aliasing, as mentioned before.
- Link is in fact left handed, as you can see in the earlier posted reference picture.  While your sheath is on the correct side, the sword and shield are reversed.
- His teeth ... delineation could be made more gray.

Keep up the good work!

Offline Norlem

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: September 14, 2007, 05:50:15 pm
Hmm, at the moment i am stuck really could need a hint in form of an easy edit how to continue, sorry if this sounds like "HELLO LOL YOU MAKE MAI SPRITE K?" but i only mean like hints for what i should do to make him look better since my pixeling skills is very low :P i hope i dont sound stupid

Regards

Norlem

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Reply #14 on: September 14, 2007, 10:03:28 pm
Quote from: Norlem
Thanks for that critizm mirre, about the fold i am gonna try to study some pixel art, becouse i dont know how i am gonna make folds look realistic, anyone happen to have a good reference pic?
Google clothing. Or just take any piece of clothing you have around you and look at it. It's not rocket science, you just have to try not to focus too much on pixel art at first, but start with the basics. Anatomy, color theory, shading, etc. Pixel art is just like painting, except with a few additional tricks added. :)