AuthorTopic: Ocarina of Time, Link Pixel Art  (Read 7328 times)

Offline Norlem

• View Profile

Ocarina of Time, Link Pixel Art

on: September 11, 2007, 07:06:28 pm
So, i am very new to pixel art, actualy this is my first try,  here is the current verision:

So id like you guys to tell me what you think of it and what i should change to make it look better.

Regards, Norlem ^^
« Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 08:24:56 pm by Norlem »

Offline Phlox

• huh??? what???
    • View Profile
    • Can Games

Re: Ocarina of Time, Link Pixel Art

Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 08:28:32 pm
i think the shield looks very good it just need some contrast on the colors. like make the darks darker and the lights lighter because the colors are too close.

However the structure of his body is very, well, how should i put this... not right.  His right arm its way to short and skinny and it looks like he couldn't hold that sword and his feet and legs are pointed to the left and right not the front how they normaly would be and his legs are also one size they aren't bigger at the thigh and smaller at the ankles.  the calf and knee should also be defined more since he is wearing tights.

Here are some threads on this sight that could help you:

http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=4593.0

http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=3467.0  (this one has a lot of good tools and tutorials in it along with references)

Update along with your update: The arm looks better because it doesn't just shrink really fast you can tell he had bulky clothes on, it fits his body better. You do need to fix the legs.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 08:50:45 pm by Phlox »

Offline Norlem

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 09:53:42 pm
Allright, got your Critism, ive changed the contrast on the shield, and, ive fixed the leggs, and here it is:

Offline Saitus

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 09:58:33 pm
It's very well done for a first attempt, we can tell what it is :D. I'd say try and make it look less flat, take a look at some clothing models and see how they would fit on a body. Add some folds or creases in the clothes to give it a better fool too. Another part that sticks out is the hair and face. The hair needs to be rethought, as it looks like it might be stemming out of the hat. Try making the hat look on top of the hair, and making the hair look more hair-like.  The face just needs to be mostly redone. Take into account the positioning of each facial feature. Lastly, try to get rid of the black outlines, and outline in a darker shade; while shading by shifting hues.

Offline Norlem

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 10:08:00 pm
Allright,

1, make him look less fat

2, make the clothes look more realistic with folds or creases.

3, Make the rethough the hair.

4, redo face, with taking note of each facial feuture.

5, change the black outlines for darker shades that fits the different hues.

Anything ells ?  ;D

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007, 04:58:00 am
Perhaps google a reference, and make a slightly more dynamic pose. You'd never see link just standing around like this, holding his sword that way, shield up, smirking like a pervert.

for example: http://www.mario64.nl/toplink.gif

just an example.

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007, 05:11:00 am
He looks good for a fan art of link. Yeah, a reference of link would help lots :D. I think he looks flat because of the clothes. I suggest redoing the whole thing lol. Good luck :)

Offline Norlem

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 11:11:30 am
wait,s so i should redo the entire thing, and change the pose..? hmm sounds like a totaly new pixel art to me.

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #8 on: September 12, 2007, 11:54:02 am
if at first you don't succeed and all that... tis the only way to learn...

Personally I quite like the naive style you've applied to this - whether that's intentional or not. Regardless of that the initial image you supplied does lack a certain 'gravitas' I think due to the fact it is a first piece. There's versions of Link you can copy, ranging from the 'realistic' to the super cute... I think you've gone out on a limb and tried to do your own rendition - call it style... nowt wrong with personalizing it.

I like the pose - it's amusing. No need to go for the over-dynamic if you don't want - it's got a certain wittiness to it as we're all used to seeing link in action poses.

SO, to start again or not start again... THAT is the question...

I'd be inclined to rework it perhaps... I think you'd learn a lot more by sticking with it and not going off track... don't be too afraid to really go in a push those pixels around... I'd certainly drop those black outlines... try going for a darker version or tone of the color the line is surrounding... (see my avatar for examples of this) - don't get into stippling until you can get some notion of shading using gradated tones... and learn to anti-alias a bit better.

Other than that... good going...

Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline Norlem

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: September 12, 2007, 01:07:14 pm
Allright, i went for keeping it as it is so i may learn more for shading etc, so i made the guy thinner, wich gave him a nicer look, i also got rid of the blackoutlines, and this gave a pretty big step in his look: