AuthorTopic: The definition of a Style....  (Read 16444 times)

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

The definition of a Style....

on: September 10, 2007, 07:46:10 pm
(quoted from my morning professor)

The definition of Style is "...To have the Balls to make the same mistake over and again until that mistake is taken for truth."

agree or disagree?
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Re: The definition of a Style....

Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 07:55:21 pm
Yes. Definately. At least that's how I achieve STYLE.

I love style :] Flaws are such a wonderful kind of beauty.

No really, I think style can be a lot of things. But that is among the defining components, I'd say.
' _ '

Offline MoD

• mnky
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 08:15:10 pm
I would think of style as more of a reprioritization or selective emphasis than error. For example, some styles prioritize readability over anatomical accuracy because of small size, and others might prioritize realism or smoothness over low color counts.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 09:47:12 pm
Agree. People will tell you '...but that's wrong!' and you will say 'I like it wrong'.

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007, 09:53:52 pm
well, to me a mistake is only a mistake as long as it is unintentional, once you do it intentionally it's no longer a mistake but a choice.  So I suppose in that sense, yes, I agree, but I think your professor worded it in a way that makes it seem more profound than it really is.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 02:53:25 am
I cant say I know enough to define what style IS......

But that certainly doesnt seem like the way to look at it. on some extent it could be true but that just sounds like it could be used to justify any flaw...and that's the problem with style around here.

I'll post this essay which I thought would alteast be a good oposition to the phrase you gave...even though I cant say this is THE truth

http://johnkstuff.blogspot.com/2006_09_01_johnkstuff_archive.html
"Take It From Katie - an essay about style versus skill" and " Influences Won't Help You Without Skill" second post on the way down.
here's a jewel for ya

"I almost think that anyone who can tell you what their style is, or openly talks about "developing their style" is in danger of never finding a real style whatsoever"

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #6 on: September 11, 2007, 03:06:59 am
The difference is when people tell you 'so that's your style!' and when you say 'that's my style!'

The first isn't something you choose. The second is something you choose. I personally don't think I have a style and it always amazes me when people say I do.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: September 11, 2007, 03:25:52 am
interesting.  I think my personal opinion is most similar to darien's in that it's a rather dramatic but not inaccurate description.

is there a difference between assigned style and self-defined style? style as a proactive decision (i know i can do it like this but i prefer to do it like this) as opposed to a decision governed by failure? (i do not know how to do it like this and am unwilling/unable to pursue the matter, so i suppose this constant and unifying mistake will be considered by my style)?
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #8 on: September 11, 2007, 03:40:04 am
I think there is such a difference. For a long time an beginning artist is (and should be) trying to do things as well as they can, given their goals and aesthetic considerations. They should be trying to reach their ideal of how they should work, and that ideal though it will be individual when you get there, is not a 'style' as much as it is a vague combinatorial aproximation of all the things the artist has seen others do that thought were awesome.

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: September 11, 2007, 03:43:38 am
   I just like to stick to the meat and potatoes logic: Style is just the way an individual, both the artist and audience, perceives it's creation. Several things could contribute to why their style looks that way, but do humans REALLY know why their pieces come out so differently than others? It always amazes me how  different everybodies perception of something is. You can dress up 40 kids in the same outfit, and cut their hair the same way, but leave them all to draw the same object in a room, and you will most definitely see a stark difference in each of them. Almost a perceptual fingerprint of our mentallity, that we probably still aren't aware of. That would be crazy, though, to get to the point where authorities would be able to identify you by your art. They already do it with signatures.(*light blinks on for more brainstorming on current/ongoing plot twist of fictional comic/story*)

I still believe in the old practice habits that one should always try and perfect his skill no matter his excuse of what level he is at. There's always room for improvement, and style is NEVER a limit. Sure style may be flawed to one set of eyes, but to others, its new and refreshing. "one man's trash is another's gold."

edit: " Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.": Helm, you quick bastard...
my back hurts...