AuthorTopic: Brain-on-a-stick tree!  (Read 3281 times)

Offline KittiKatt

• I'm a pretty girl.... I'm a preeettyyy girl...
    • View Profile

Brain-on-a-stick tree!

on: September 08, 2007, 03:45:16 am
Okay, here goes some trees. :B

First try:

Second try:

Bush thingy:
« Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 02:26:14 am by KittiKatt »

Offline KittiKatt

• View Profile

Re: "Worms-on-a-stick"-type tree

Reply #1 on: September 08, 2007, 05:26:11 am
All right, I tried again and this new tree is going to work pretty well with the style of the game that I'd like to eventually attempt creating.

*breathes*

:B And yes, those are carrots.

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Reply #2 on: September 08, 2007, 04:12:32 pm
I think the carrot tree is a neat idea, but you need a lot more contrast. Darken the tree trunk and the crown and desaturate the colors and bring them closer to blue as they get darker. Since the sky reflects a lot of blue light, shadows tend to be bluer.

To make it seem rounder, you need to move your highlights away from the edge of the tree.

I'd enlarge the carrots and place them further apart since they're barely visible at the moment.

The shape of the crown could use some work, too. I know you're going for a stylized look, but it would be more recognizable if you made the crown taper a bit towards the top and gave the trunk some branches. You can use dithering to give it a bit of texture.

Hope that helps. :)

Offline KittiKatt

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 09, 2007, 12:49:13 am
o.o;; Wow! That's incredible! Thank you!

I tried to make a bush in the same style as your tree..

I don't think I got it exactly, the shading looks weird to me, but I did get pretty close.

Okay, so when you choose darker shades, make it grayer and push it towards blue a little more. I never knew that, thanks!

OH, ALSO -
I've made each tile 20x20.. is that too large? And, I know that tiles are used so that you can control where your character can and can't go, but can each tile be made separately and individually for each map, or do you need a tileset? Or can you use tilesets for whatever you might need and basic things like ground and grass and trees... :huh:
« Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 02:27:04 am by KittiKatt »