AuthorTopic: Hase's Stuff redux thread (image heavy)  (Read 6538 times)

Offline Hase

• Zombies. Stuff.
    • View Profile

Hase's Stuff redux thread (image heavy)

on: November 14, 2005, 07:15:34 pm
Well, here it is. In no particular order, this is a lot of the old stuff. Unfortunately I havenīt had much (if any) time to pixel anything over the last year or so, so nothing here is new.

A lot of stuff Iīm rather unhappy with from a current perspective, but I guess thatīs normal...

here goes:

Zombies:
These were made for two different zombie-shooter games, one of which was finished in 2004 (shockwave), the other of which is pretty much dormant due to all of the participants having jobs, lives and whatnot. Iīd really like to get back to it some day and finish it (it was near-alpha, sprites were moving, all the hardware accelerated stuff was working, there was a model assembler for sprites with multiple segments and joints, even a quasi-IK animation editor), but thatīs not going to happen before spring next year, if ever.

Player characters:

walk cycle and liftoff (butterfly wings were going to be done in 3d)

walk cycle mockup (the final was to consist of a bunch of different segments)

weapon sortiment (there are hands&reload animations for this somewhere ... )

a few zombies:

mockup of the first boss:

some even older stuff (for the shockwave game):

smartbomb:

props:

this is some random stuff, sketches etc. in no particular order:

i remember this one caused quite a stir..

and lighter sword version

something i played with but messed up in the end:

Since then I havenīt really pixelled anything, although I did manage to do a quick sketch now and then. Itīs probably not pixel art by most of your standards, but here goes anyway:

well, thatīs it for now...

I know itīs stale art, but still C&C always appreciated.

Offline Dan

• "Haha The Man"
    • View Profile

Re: Hase's Stuff redux thread (image heavy)

Reply #1 on: November 14, 2005, 08:16:25 pm
Loving the animations dude! This zombie game sounds cool is the shockwave game still up? If so, fancy posting a link? Anyway good work.

Thank you,

Dan
That's the way the cookie crumbles. - Do the bug bob.     - Woot!

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #2 on: November 14, 2005, 09:09:15 pm
Haha, now this brings back memories. I can still remember laughing my ass off when I first saw the big zombie animations, especially when they were still WIP and choppy, blood was all over that thread :D

Sweet, just sweet...

Offline Dogmeat

• YOKOYAMA
    • View Profile
    • Mindcrank

Reply #3 on: November 14, 2005, 09:10:56 pm
I remember these from the old days, didn't you go under a different nick? anyway, good to see you here.
Daisuke Nagano Yokoyama

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #4 on: November 15, 2005, 12:57:01 am
haha - i said i didn't remember you, but i guess i lied.  Nobody can forget those crazy sketch animations... if i remember correctly, your 'f-u god' thread had alot of posts in it.

Offline Hase

• Zombies. Stuff.
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 16, 2005, 09:04:52 am
thanks! The zombie game isnīt up anymore as far as I can tell, but I can look into it. Then again, it wasnīt that good anyways...

always used this nick I think.

yeah, the f-u thread was fun, but ultimately misunderstood despite my explanations.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #6 on: November 16, 2005, 10:03:07 pm
Hese! the one man who can prove that Ragdoll animation CAN be done right  ;D

I was always most impressed by the running cycle on ur avatar, not only is it animated so well you cant tell it's ragdoll, but it has some of the best animation a running cycle has seen, much of what takes the doll-ness out of it is the way you abuse the ankle joint, and obviouslt the great timing you used.

I can tell that there arent exact reverse frames, one of the legs has a 1 frame lag to the other, but there also is something more.
How exactly did you make that one?

Offline Hase

• Zombies. Stuff.
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: November 21, 2005, 07:09:31 pm
Thanks for the praise! This one was one of the last (if not the last) of the sprites done for the old zombie shooter, as far as I recall I started out with an animated sketch which I then overlaid with the individual segments. Then, some more fiddling around and merging the segments for final touch-up. Since only the segments were pre-fab and not the whole creture (like the guy with the gun from the high-res version) there was more actual pixel painting per frame, as well as a bit more freedom with movements. The downside of this of course is that it takes longer.
The near-final version didnīt look nearly as good though, the slightly asynchronous movement was there from the start though (I think). There isnīt all that much to it, I think that the arms and legs move pretty much mirrored. What probably adds to the effect that the arm movements, head movements and torso movements donīt conform to the usual 1-2 pace and are slightly out of synch with each other, and that the head for example moves with the full 2-step cycle, not each step.
The whole thing really got alive only when I added some upper body movement, before that it had the typical "walk-on-rails" look you so often see. The downside was that the breathing animation was pretty much lost - that was much better visible before.
I did plan to go over all the frames again and clean them up a bit but somehow I never got round to it...

I might have a few work in progress shots somewhere on an old hd if youīre interested.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2005, 02:00:26 am by Hase »

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #8 on: November 22, 2005, 12:16:16 pm
*clap clap* wow, what an insightful response! I AM interested, dont want to make you go out of your way to look for this HD if it's too much of a problem though :p

Also, I really like the botton sketch...the face has a very very odd apeal that gets me.

Offline Hase

• Zombies. Stuff.
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: November 25, 2005, 08:25:39 am
... experiencing technical problems, please stand by... *bleep*

hereīs what I had in the upload:

first sketch:

first detailed version:

and the final version with upper body movement: