AuthorTopic: (W.I.P) Dinosaur  (Read 5149 times)

Offline BlueCheer

• View Profile

(W.I.P) Dinosaur

on: September 07, 2007, 11:05:53 am
Hello its me (if you can remember from my like 12 posts.) any way ive been gone on personal matters, haven't really done any pixeling sense. well any way a friend i know said i should try something with not so many colors to try to make it look good on a big scale and here it is please take in account i haven't ever really done any pixel art mostly just recolor and edits of old snes game sprites, and i sucked at that.

<Started as this

( i do need kinda some help looks bad, and not working on the nose or adding eyes till tomorrow)

6 colors i used. And also ive quite liked dithering thats why i gave it a shot in this, but remember I'm a beginner  ^_^

All helps appreciated.

Edit: added more shadow
« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 11:52:13 am by Panda »

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Re: (W.I.P) Dinosaur

Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 09:15:55 pm
Well, for it to look more like a dinosaur, you need smaller eyes and a longer snout. The angle between the head and the neck is too sharp, and the neck needs to be a bit slimmer. The way you've shaded it makes it look flat, and you could use colors other than plain greens to add a bit more contrast to it. You can also cut back on the use of black for an outline. Hope this will give you some ideas. :) You can also look at pictures of lizards or dinosaur skeletons for more suggestions for shapes of the head.

Offline BlueCheer

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 08, 2007, 04:12:51 am
Mind if try stuff like that (like try to make that with mine?)? and those weren't meant to be the eyes, they were spouse to be the nose but i guess they dont have huge noses like i first thought. Off topic I love you site :D

O and yes thank you, you did indeed give me a good idea of how too fix some my so called art and add more detail to it. Thank you.

edit: what did you mean by "and you could use colors other than plain greens to add a bit more contrast to it" Plain green?

« Last Edit: September 08, 2007, 04:24:12 am by BlueCheer »

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Reply #3 on: September 08, 2007, 04:21:40 pm
Mind if try stuff like that (like try to make that with mine?)?
If you feel you can learn from it, then go right ahead. That's what it's there for. :)

what did you mean by "and you could use colors other than plain greens to add a bit more contrast to it" Plain green?
I've varied the hues of the colors a bit by bringing the highlights closer to yellow and the shadows closer to blue to add some variation to the palette. You're free to try other combinations of colors.

Offline BlueCheer

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007, 07:38:46 am
what did you mean by "and you could use colors other than plain greens to add a bit more contrast to it" Plain green?
I've varied the hues of the colors a bit by bringing the highlights closer to yellow and the shadows closer to blue to add some variation to the palette. You're free to try other combinations of colors.

i know that but i mean why are you said "use colors other than plain greens" is strange cause your using just shades of greens(except for on the head ) and so am Ii.

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Reply #5 on: September 10, 2007, 10:10:02 am
Well, the little variation there is seems a bit arbitrary since your two brightest colors are the same hue and the darker colors move ever so slightly towards blue and then slightly back to yellow again, but it's nearly impossible to tell at a glance. I'm saying you should utilize more of the hue range, especially as the colors get darker, since the saturation decreases (ideally) and changes in hue will be more difficult to spot.

Offline BlueCheer

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007, 06:52:25 am
O yea i pick my colors out of HSL and i was keeping some of the colors the same hue for some reason :P but yea i gave up on this work i didnt really wont to draw it that much, i should probably try to make just things i wont (it may not be any better then this but it sure will be more fun to make)

Offline BlueCheer

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: September 14, 2007, 08:04:16 am

A face or head i did and im not quite sure why i don't like it maybe its the shape but C&C would be good.

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #8 on: September 14, 2007, 02:51:23 pm

A face or head i did and im not quite sure why i don't like it maybe its the shape but C&C would be good.
Hmm what? Nono, finish the dino!
Now Arachne made her edit for nothing :(
Don't make us critique on stuff if you're not gonna take it anyway. That's just wasting out time.