AuthorTopic: Newb pixel admirer trying to do something of her own!  (Read 3397 times)

Offline KittiKatt

• I'm a pretty girl.... I'm a preeettyyy girl...
    • View Profile

Newb pixel admirer trying to do something of her own!

on: September 06, 2007, 10:51:04 pm
Hey!
I'm Katie, a 14-year old female computer geek wonder. :crazy: I design websites and graphics and code in HTML, CSS and PHP (nothing big). I would have posted this in the introduction topic, but I think most of this actual post is less of an introduction and more of a plea for advice. xD

I have a couple personal sites of my own, which I might end up putting on my profile eventually (they're not hugely pixel-/design-related), and have been admiring pixelated wonders for quite a while now. So, I've decided to give designing and creating games a try, but I honestly don't know where to start. I'm not incredibly skilled at art in generally right now, but I've done some basic pixel art and I could definitely get better.

... In any case, I've read some really helpful tutorials on tiles, dithering, and coloring techniques. If I could get a little guidance as to where to start - what programs are best to use (I use Photoshop at the moment), what programming languages to start working on, how tiles actually work, etc - that would be really awesome! Maybe I could tag along or possibly even help with a project or two, just to see how things work... I taught myself PHP in a matter of months, so with a heavier language, I could probably get good fairly quickly.

Thanks, I hope I can get some help!
Katie

PS - what IS a mockup? :mean: Is it basically a screenshot of a game you're going to make, or what you've all ready made, or just a concept of something that could eventually happen, or... What?

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Re: Newb pixel admirer trying to do something of her own!

Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 10:56:54 pm
PS - what IS a mockup? :mean: Is it basically a screenshot of a game you're going to make, or what you've all ready made, or just a concept of something that could eventually happen

All 3.  just a screenshot of a game, real or not.

Offline KittiKatt

• I'm a pretty girl.... I'm a preeettyyy girl...
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 11:04:58 pm
Aha, thankies.

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 12:44:45 am
AHEM, a screenshot of a real game is just a screenshot. A mockup is a picture drawn to LOOK like a real game, but isn't.

Programs: Matter of preference. Though, the big four programs mostly used, here atleast, are Photoshop, GraphicsGale, ProMotion, and MSPaint. I do not recommend MSPaint.
Photoshop isn't really intended for pixel art, but it's certainly got its merits when it comes to the matter.
GraphicsGale is what I use. Great pallete control, customizable short-cut keys. Pretty basic, but it's got everything you need.
ProMotion is some big-time stuff. It's shareware. Pro-version costs a ton (Well, money is relative), but it's got tons of awesome features unique to it. There's also a lighter version, which has pretty much the same functionality as GraphicsGale.

MORE:
Forum is borked at the moment, so you can't choose an avatar.
As for where you should start, just draw some pixel art and post it here (You could also check out the line-art thread if strapped for ideas). So long as you'll listen, you can learn all the basics pretty orangatang'd fast.
Andddd, don't take criticism on an emotional level. Critics are made to help you, not harm you, and when you don't listen to 'em, you're harming your growth as an artist.
A'course, you don't HAVE to listen to 'em, and bad advice has been given before, but the gist of what I'm trying to say is don't limit yourself behind excuses. (I can never properly convey what I mean when typing, gorrammit.)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 12:55:17 am by Sherman Gill »
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline CroM

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007, 11:54:47 pm
Hi,

as for programming languages i suggest you give flash actionscript a try, beside the fact that you can show your games online, it`s preety easy to learn if you are dedicated.
you can download the flash 8 or 9 trial from the adobe site.

have fun

greets CroM