AuthorTopic: Lectro Mockup Madness! (New demo! July 22nd)  (Read 72453 times)

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Re: Lectro Mockup Madness (Fear the claw; Oct 29)

Reply #140 on: November 03, 2007, 11:25:21 pm
I cannot open the latest demo.
I have a 22 inch monitor and it won't go below 800x600 res. So the file gives an error because the resolution cannot be changed to 640x480.

Offline Colonel Mustard

• View Profile

Reply #141 on: November 05, 2007, 03:05:35 pm
I would advise you change the big bricks because they are very much a rip off of the underside

(sorry that it's jpg'd)

Which in itself is then very much a rip off of Cave Story. This has been said earlier in the topic, and explained as well.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 03:12:54 pm by Colonel Mustard »

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #142 on: November 05, 2007, 05:27:32 pm
There I just hope that we can go a bit more for skill and good looks than for creativity and originality (because I myself sometimes use excisting conceptart or games or movies to base art on)

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #143 on: November 11, 2007, 09:15:53 pm
I would advise you change the big bricks because they are very much a rip off of the underside

(sorry that it's jpg'd)
I've already said that the style was inspired by cavestory.
So there are obviously going to be similar objects in a game that is also inspired by cavestory. :/
I'm aware how close the tiles are, and I'm trying to sway away from making a direct clone of cavestory.

Anyways, I thought I'd say sorry for the lack of updates.
I just moved into my own place, so this is the first time I've gotten online in 2 weeks.
We're getting our internet set up really soon so once that's set up I'll hopefully pump out some more updates. :D

I cannot open the latest demo.
I have a 22 inch monitor and it won't go below 800x600 res. So the file gives an error because the resolution cannot be changed to 640x480.
I still don't have an official coder.
I haven't heard anything from any of them in over 2 months...
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 09:20:45 pm by Souly »

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #144 on: November 12, 2007, 01:31:41 pm
great work. nice caves.
just two things:
- the "giant cutters" of your big boss seems too much "organic" imho (which is odd for a cutter)
- i like your "ground & cave" mockup, but i'm not convinced by those "progressive sky-to-underground-dirt tiles.

HTH.
keep up with the good work.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #145 on: November 15, 2007, 04:49:31 am
trails=motion blurs, so they should only be there to transition from one frame to the next when there arent enough inbetween frames.

when you make them remain a bunch of effects can be done, I know....it's not like I've never seen anime, but they should never retreat slowly, they should always look forceful in their movement..

this is a mechanic animation so it'd be good if you actually had like one frame of actual movement done with a bunch of trails (taking advantage of the shiny metal surface) a couple of frames in the end of the anim as a really rough shaking antic, and then motion blur it back into closed position with some more shaking and maybe even some sparks or some kind of impact effect when the claws close up

EDIT: nevermind, didnt notice u were done with this...=/ robot looks fine so far as long as you're planning to cover up that butt and chest with extra detail
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 04:54:29 am by Conceit »

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Re: Lectro Mockup Madness! (New demo! July 22nd)

Reply #146 on: July 22, 2008, 06:07:30 pm
Ladies and gentlemen I apoligize for my neglection on this project.
It happens.
Anyways, I thought I'd post a small update as well as link everyone to the wonderful movement testing we're doing for lectro.

The vat of molten lava needs work...
I haven't done this style in a while, gotta pick it back up again.

www.boomersnet.nl/lectro.zip
Arrow keys are move, Shift is jump ctrl is shoot
You can also aim up and diagonal by using the arrow keys while running.
You can also slide slowly down walls and shoot off them.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #147 on: July 22, 2008, 09:03:17 pm
Upwards aiming is totally screwy. Sometimes He'd shoot diagonal up while standing still, sometimes he'd shoot horizontally while aiming up, sometimes I had no idea what was going on (with the aiming). And if you shoot while moving horizontally then stop just as you fire, the shot will come out diagonally then quickly straighten itself to vertical. Also, I think it'd be better if the diagonal shot was at a straight 45degree angle, instead of the weird steep angle it is now. Sometimes when I went to slide down a wall, he wouldn't, or his arm would come off, or he'd just spaz out for a minute. Once, after I got him to spaz out, he couldn't even get near a wall in mid air without spazzing out again. I also got stuck in the wall once.
I find it strange that he can slide down the rough rock but not the smooth stone block.
When he jumps, that little kick he does at the peak of his jump looks out of place - like it should be done much earlier, when he first leaves the ground.

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #148 on: July 23, 2008, 11:23:35 pm

Vertigo-Zero is coding this not me, I'll get him to look into it.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #149 on: July 24, 2008, 09:03:57 am
the mockup cave (~ 2 posts above) is really interesting in how it's not using any 'straight' tiles. I failed to find the "grid size" you've been using for this, and i thus fear that you're not been using any ... Will it still be possible to build such interesting levels only with the 12 tiles you identified ? the "machine" mockup seems to suggests you had more available stuff in the former mockup.

I liked the idea of "holes" in the rock, but it is not working that nicely below your machine. I'd rather expect the machine (in your latest post) to be installed over a super-solid area, showing large rocks rather than holes (maybe it fits the lowest level of a cave more than this kind of pedestal ?)

sorry if i sound completely confusing...