AuthorTopic: Lectro Mockup Madness! (New demo! July 22nd)  (Read 72462 times)

Offline bluknight

• View Profile

Re: Lectro Mockup Madness (New demo; Sept 26)

Reply #80 on: October 06, 2007, 02:05:15 pm
You know, I liked that I felt a sort of "weight" with Lectro in the demo. I kept playing a "clunk!" sound effect in my head whenever he jumped and landed.

Maybe if I make a cool thread programmers will come along and make stuff for me too!
If someone had art for me and a good idea, or wanted to just make art for me, I would be completely willing to do some programming.
-

The first demo is pretty terrible in my opinion, in terms of the programming of the character's movement. It feels slow and unresponsive and for some reason pressing left in the air makes you move left really quick though pressing right just acts more like how one might expect.
The slow and unresponsive feeling is often what happens if the acceleration is too slow. You can use an acceleration model of control for the player's movement rather than velocity based and it can make things seem less "jumpy" when they turn around and such, but if the speed cap takes too long to reach it ends up feeling unpleasant.
One of the great things about Cave Story is how finely "pixel" tuned the controls to make it a complete pleasure to play.

The newer demo by the other programmer wouldn't run on my computer, so I can't speak on that one.

Offline dtek

• View Profile

Re: Lectro Mockup Madness (New mockup; Oct 6)

Reply #81 on: October 06, 2007, 03:34:22 pm
Great work! I can offer my two cents, in the gun firing animation for the main character, the smoke after the shot seemed, to me, at first like a squrit of liquid
later!

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #82 on: October 08, 2007, 09:20:11 pm

I'll be making two seperate flame animations.
Cause right now it looks a little repeatitive.

Offline miscdude

• View Profile

Reply #83 on: October 08, 2007, 09:33:18 pm
wow...those newer tiles are awesome ^^
i just really dont think they match with lectro or the other tiles...

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #84 on: October 08, 2007, 11:42:17 pm
I liked this better :( I wonder if this is good critique enough. But still. Just saying. The sky, the green grass, the fading tiles, I liked it. :\
Whereas I agree, I still like the newer rocks. I think it'd be cool if you could somehow quickly fade the detailed new rocks into a flat dark space so that there are no wide expanses of dense, stony detail.
Also, one rock in the tileage sticks out to me like a sore thumb: the one with the perfectly horizontal line going halfway through it. You see? Just get rid of that line, please, man?
Also also, some of those square blocks could be half-covered in rubble and buried and barely showing and stuff, you know? So as not to just be like "Block and Notblock" distinction between tiles. Have some at angles, show that they haven't been there invulnerable to the elements for ages.
Also also also, brighten up those torches with some vibrancy. Your character is much 2 bright to be alone with such high saturation, and so it makes him look a bit misplaced. In fact, I think the tiles as a whole in your latest are far too grey.

Offline AlienQuark

• be triangular
    • View Profile

Reply #85 on: October 09, 2007, 12:05:42 am
At first I wasn't going to say anything, because it was looking pretty fly, but the more I come into this thread, the more I am reminded of cave story and the underside.

You can very easily tell that both are influencing your work, and to me it seems a little too heavily even. You had something snazzy and original going on, but the more you work on it, the closer it gets to another carbon copy of the 2, down the the tiles. Sorry man, but to me you're taking steps away from an appealingly original thing here.

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #86 on: October 09, 2007, 12:37:29 am
I agree with Quark and everyone else.  Homages can be great, but it's usually the things a homage does differently that make it great.

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #87 on: October 10, 2007, 08:39:42 pm

Fire is hard to animate...

Offline Faktablad

• grow
    • View Profile
    • Couchpixel

Reply #88 on: October 10, 2007, 09:31:37 pm
you're taking steps away from an appealingly original thing here.
Listen to Quark.  Think about where Lectro belongs.  He belongs in a world like your first idea, not your latest weird dungeony cave thing.  (Why not throw in some unique design elements, like electro torches or something?)  You're being a bit too generic.

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #89 on: October 10, 2007, 09:56:22 pm

I combined both the ideas...
I don't know if this is better or worse.

Made a new background, I also changed the color of the rocks.