AuthorTopic: Lectro Mockup Madness! (New demo! July 22nd)  (Read 72784 times)

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Re: Lectro Mockup Madness (New demo; Sept 26)

Reply #70 on: October 05, 2007, 09:26:02 am
->
Tried adding a door down at the bottom, don't know if I should try and make a door.
Or just leave it black.
Edit: added the bigger blocks.

Created a bunch of blocks.

On a side note this is my 420th post.
Which is a sacred post and it shall be remembered. :D
« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 10:10:07 am by Souly »

Offline rabidbaboy

• Jesus Beam!
    • View Profile

Reply #71 on: October 05, 2007, 10:59:59 am
Don't you think you're approaching a bit too close to Cave Story?
Though the rock tiles look great, it's weird how the edges look... Hollow? They're not whole, if you know what I mean, you can see the cutting work done on it.

Maybe pixel the edges differently?
"Baboy" is Filipino for pig.

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #72 on: October 05, 2007, 11:32:35 am
Don't you think you're approaching a bit too close to Cave Story?
Though the rock tiles look great, it's weird how the edges look... Hollow? They're not whole, if you know what I mean, you can see the cutting work done on it.

Maybe pixel the edges differently?
It was my original goal to make something that had the same feel as cavestory.

As for the edges in the mockup, it's because they were just cut out of a pattern.
I really just did this to see how the texture went with the mockup.

I have yet to actually do the appropriate tiles using the texture.

Purple started to bug me...

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #73 on: October 05, 2007, 12:47:44 pm
Please can you do something with the square tiles? I mean, everything just spells out A.W.E.S.O.M.E now except for the 'square tiles inside of rocky cavey stuff' that just scream CAVESTORY

Plus, I think you could do something about the flatness of the surfaces. I have some ideas, I just have to find the right time and computer to show you ;D

I don't really think that cave story is the epitome of independent platformer gaming art, so if you can expand upon it and find your own approach, that would be golden and wonderful. Yes. That's just my couple of bomus points.
' _ '

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #74 on: October 05, 2007, 01:10:31 pm
->
Does giving the squares a purpose to be there help?

Edit:Changed the color of the tiles.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 01:28:02 pm by Souly »

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #75 on: October 05, 2007, 01:35:23 pm
I don't mean this as an offense but aiming to recreate Cave Story's style is setting a modest goal for yourself, to say the least. Don't get me wrong I like the work so far but Cave Story seems to have been elevated to some graphical pedestal where it's the greatest thing since cheez-wiz. The fact is if you want to build off of what Pixel did in Cave Story you're going to have to be able to look at it with a critical eye and identify where Pixel's failures were so you can overcome them.

Now, this is art, so those failures/successes are pretty subjective. I know that I personally felt like the areas in Cave Story felt very barren. I didn't feel like there was any kind of coherent game world. There are a bunch of winding tunnels, because the game needed winding tunnels. And there are doors here and there, because the game needed doors. But who dug out the tunnels? Who put the doors there? Looking at Cave Story you get very little sense of actual story through the artwork, ironically. It's all incredibly generic.

I guess my point is that Cave Story has been done already, so if you're set on doing this project you have an obligation to surpass it, put a twist on it, take it in a direction that Pixel never thought of; otherwise I don't understand why an artist of your skill is bothering with it.
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #76 on: October 05, 2007, 02:31:59 pm
I don't mean this as an offense but aiming to recreate Cave Story's style is setting a modest goal for yourself, to say the least. Don't get me wrong I like the work so far but Cave Story seems to have been elevated to some graphical pedestal where it's the greatest thing since cheez-wiz. The fact is if you want to build off of what Pixel did in Cave Story you're going to have to be able to look at it with a critical eye and identify where Pixel's failures were so you can overcome them.

Now, this is art, so those failures/successes are pretty subjective. I know that I personally felt like the areas in Cave Story felt very barren. I didn't feel like there was any kind of coherent game world. There are a bunch of winding tunnels, because the game needed winding tunnels. And there are doors here and there, because the game needed doors. But who dug out the tunnels? Who put the doors there? Looking at Cave Story you get very little sense of actual story through the artwork, ironically. It's all incredibly generic.

I guess my point is that Cave Story has been done already, so if you're set on doing this project you have an obligation to surpass it, put a twist on it, take it in a direction that Pixel never thought of; otherwise I don't understand why an artist of your skill is bothering with it.
You make an excellent point Ben.
I'm trying to figure out an original idea that will help my project become original and not just a Cavestory knock-off.
But visually I was hoping for the same style as that of CaveStory, however I was hoping to work out the errors Pixel made, such as repetitive tiles.
Which I think I have accomplished at the moment, however it's no where near perfect but personally I think it's pretty good start. :B

-> ->
Brought back the purple, gave the pillars some contrast.
Edit: Went back to the greenish version instead.
Edit2: Realized the background was still a light purple..
« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 05:26:09 pm by Souly »

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #77 on: October 05, 2007, 06:41:14 pm

I liked this better :( I wonder if this is good critique enough. But still. Just saying. The sky, the green grass, the fading tiles, I liked it. :\
' _ '

Offline Delgneith

• View Profile

Reply #78 on: October 05, 2007, 06:49:58 pm
Your latest tiles are nice but I do fear it's a little TOO close to Cave Story. I think it'd look cool if you added some like candles in the caves and maybe those big blocks you could do a carving of like a lion head or some gothic/gargolyish thing. Might add to the environment. I guess maybe I'm thinking a mix of Castlevania and Cave Story. Keep it coming.

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #79 on: October 05, 2007, 07:55:06 pm
I'm working on throwing some misc stuff in there to make it not look so boring and just plain.

Anyways, much like cavestory a lot of the impacts are going to be particle effects using this explosion animation I made.

Used a couple references on the cloud dissapearing, cavestory was one of them (obviously)