AuthorTopic: The ten ugliest colors in the world. Spy game, need help with the little skull.  (Read 7679 times)

Offline Bouzolf

• I'm a Quebecer, i like pink and I'm 14 years old.
    • View Profile
    • My PJ Galery
Hello Pixelation  :D. I haven't pixeleted for about a mouth so I might be a lil rusty. I decided to pick 10 almost random (and ugly) colors and do something with 'em. So here's some sprites of a spy game (Splinter Cell-like) I might or might not do.

I did a little number code:

1. This would be the status bars and yes, it's supposed to be a human heart (need help on this)
2. This is the main character shooting a terrorist.
3. Him again noticing something.
4. A dead terorist. The thing in the "bulle" (I'm french, can someone translate this word? Thank you.) is suposed to be a skull, S.O.S. on this.  :-[
5. A tree and a cutten tree.
6. A little smoke bomb.
7. A portrait of the main character with REALY bad AA.
8. Some simple water tiles.
9. Tall grass tiles (One of the best thing in this piece, to me).
10. And finaly the famous ten ugly colors.

Thanks for reading, I'm hopping to have some C+C.  :D
My English is poor, sorry about that..

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile
almost random?  it's just about 2/3rds of the C64 palette :P.

your small guys look good, but your larger pieces are just strange.  too many broken lines on the face, terribly odd shape for the tree, and the heart just isn't a heart - back to the drawing board with you!  try to identify the shapes that make a heart a heart.  I have no idea what's going on with the grass tile, though the water is rather cute.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile
Hardly the ugliest pallet :P.
4. A dead terorist. The thing in the "bulle" (I'm french, can someone translate this word? Thank you.) is suposed to be a skull, S.O.S. on this.  :-[
Balloon?
like a text balloon, with a picture inside
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Bouzolf

• I'm a Quebecer, i like pink and I'm 14 years old.
    • View Profile
    • My PJ Galery
Adarias: Thank you. I'll try make something really different for the face. I used a picture for as reference for my heart: http://www.fotosearch.fr/comp/ISI/ISI119/UNIOB015.JPG, but it's hard to makeit look the same. I really don't know where to start with the tiles/trees.  ???

Sherman Gill: Yeah that's it I think:"Text balloon". Any advice on the skull?

ptoing: You're right! ...but this is still the ugliest palette in the world.  :crazy:

My next step would be animations, but I wanna make sure this is all OK before I start that.

My English is poor, sorry about that..

Offline AlienQuark

• be triangular
    • View Profile
HAH!

Quote of the day.

In the case of your work, it looks alright, I'm not really digging the facial portrait on the guy though, it's extremely flat. You should think of how to maybe shade it to add some depth.

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile
HAH!

Quote of the day.

I was so about to say that. I am so saving that quote, for always. Anyways, The main thing I see, without looking too intently is the tree, it doesn't look...done? to me, I think it may be the 4 brown spots near our right hand side.
Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline Stefano

• 10 different types of soup
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART profile
I agree with ptoing...

I could not, for the love of God, make a readable sprite for a skull at this size. Instead, I've suggested a new icon... sorry about that. Not really helpful, I know.
Also, check out what I did to the portrait, tree and grass. I've basically fixed anatomical issues on the first one and (IMHO) improved anti-aliasing. Trees and grass were a tad difficult to read, so I've messed around with your hues (didn't add or removed any colors) to try to make your trees more distinguishable from the grass without using a dark outline. This particular bit was quite difficult with a so limited number colors to pick from, but I guess I managed to do a fairly serviceable job.  ;) Additionally I've also changed the overal vegetable anatomy ( :lol: ), so they'd look closer to my pixelized interpretation of trees and grass. The grass look like crap, tough.
I don't have time to change it now, but I hope you'll be able to make use of any of my other changes.

Cheers,
-Stefano

EDIT: I've just realized that the secondary light source on the trees is too bright... oh, well.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 08:50:33 pm by Stefano »

Offline fawel

• View Profile
For the heart, look at this:

By Alex Hanson-White (finalredemption.com)

Good improvement in the latest update :)

Offline Delgneith

• View Profile
For the heart, look at this:

http://www.finalredemption.com/fileauth.php?id=99&type=item&mime=image/x-png&site=1

Might I ask why not look at some real heart pictures? Using Google's image search might be a good start. Rather one copy off reality than a representation of.