AuthorTopic: [WIP] Pixel Skull...  (Read 6127 times)

Offline it

• View Profile

[WIP] Pixel Skull...

on: September 04, 2007, 07:42:58 pm
I have been interested in pixel art for some time but have finally stopped admiring pieces and am trying to create my own. :)

It started off with a small doodle on MSPaint and then built up from there, I would like opinions on how I could further improve this skull for the use as a charactor in an animated sequence (I plan to complete the full skeleton after further study).  I will post updates as soon as I have time to work on this further.

I would like c+c on this skull please:
[The Jaw bone is currently in construction]
Old one...

New one so far...

SINCE FORUM SUGGESTIONS
I am now working off of the reference picture below.
Complete re-style:

WIP:

(not sure why the left cheek is spotted in this anim[problem with gif])

THANKYOU
« Last Edit: September 08, 2007, 02:24:32 pm by it »

Offline Phlox

• huh??? what???
    • View Profile
    • Can Games

Re: Pixel Skull (C+C)

Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 08:30:11 pm
I think there needs to be more forehead and also look at the shape of the bones around the eyes they are a little odd. here is a good refrence

Offline it

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 08:45:05 pm
Yes thanks for that, the picture you have as a reference will help me greatly (maybe I should have digged further at google, or just observed the material I had better) [but then again, that's why I posted, for C+C) :blind: I'm confusing myself with this mindless drivvle.

The thing I will mention about the skull is that I was going for a slightly cartoonish skull to begin with and then continued from there, the reason I have maybe come to the end of improving the skull (in my minds eye) may have been down to the fact it wasn't correct anatomically to begin with.

I shall post the update shortly.

Thankyou

Offline it

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 09:17:49 pm
Right, I've done a quick little edit to see the overall result and the way it would change the skull.

Here is the update in terms of creating more of a forehead:

Edit:
Built forehead
Decreased the size of the back of the skull
Added more cheek bone (lefthand)

Now at first sight some may say that it just doesn't add up, and yes... I know the eyes are the incorrect shape causing the image to conflict in some way.
I can see how I would have to change the entire image to create a better representation of what it is that I am trying to depict, I will keep experimenting with the better reference I now have but I am not looking to change the sprite into simply a skull, I want to give charactor to the skeleton by changing his bone structure rather than to have a perfect reference copy. 
What I'm getting at is I don't want to change the style of the skull in it's current state, I feel that the eye sockets are the shape I would like them etc...  I am thinking of unique depictions of skulls in as much the same way as 'nightmare before christmas' for example.  Not proportionately correct but still a style that creates a unique charactor.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 08:50:10 am by it »

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 11:03:19 pm
I think you've got a bit too many shades on a small surface there, especially with the dithering and all. Try to make the ramp into a smoother transition from dark to bright.
Plus, your 'texture-dithering' isn't working 100%, not completely giving the impression that the skull has a rough surface, but instead looking like some kind of wonky warts.

Also, your color ramp could be more interesting. Bone gets a yellow tint when it's old, so why not try changing the hues in there? Graphics Gale would let you do that in just an instant. (or ProMotion, of course)

Also, you're not AA:ing efficiently, you have room for improvement.

And with that all cleared up, I want to say that you've got potential :] You listen to critique and work hard, it'll take you farther than you can imagine, promise <3
' _ '

Offline it

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 11:20:13 pm
Thankyou for that. When I started to pixel it I kept thinking of what it could end up becoming.
I think about the boring palette and will definately improve it and incorperate more bleached and brown colours.
The dithering, oh the dithering...well, I liked the idea of intricately applying all that dithering but was never happy with the inconsistancy which you have correctly pointed out :-[ I will definately try to minimise the amount of warty dithering also, a style I quite liked but maybe not for this small piece.

I had worked on it before checking back to this post so here is the most recent update:

EDIT:
Increased the size of the eye sockets
Blended the upper jaw in more
Reshaped right side

I will get to work on introducing some convincing colour and decreasing the dithering somewhat. Will almost certainly re-style the eye sockets...
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 08:50:25 am by it »

Offline rabidbaboy

• Jesus Beam!
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: September 05, 2007, 12:55:22 am
I agree with Jad.
Just looking at it, I feel that too many shades are wasted on that shady and noisy area.

Dithering, mainly is used for texturing or transition between two colors if you are restricted. I don't think your dithering(mostly) accomplishes one of these two. You could probably spread the usage of the colors, you know. Why not use the second lightest color as the base color, then the white (lightest shade) as highlight?

And no need to post a 2x version, the forum has a zoom function. ;)
"Baboy" is Filipino for pig.

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #7 on: September 05, 2007, 01:08:18 pm
I'd be inclined to increase the size of the cranium a little more... your just a touch out how the cheek bones meet the upper part of the teeth area - I think it's called the zygome or muzilla or something like that... I forget. Anway... I've made a slight edit... also the bridge of th nose recesses just a bit which i've pushed back with a line across the top... it needs to be more subtle but there you go...

I've also fiddled with the pallette as you're making the classic ramp from white to black which is quite crude - we generally adapt the palettes with hue shifts along the ramps these days to add more dynamic to the color scale... it's up to you though... I personally prefer this approach, as do most people. Plus I've tried to suggest bone by making the colors tend towards ivory and browns.

Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline it

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: September 05, 2007, 07:13:16 pm
I like your edit. A few points in which I will consider, especially the size of the cranium. Whilst changing things here and there I did find myself changing the right cheekbone but it didnt stay, Im glad you picked up on that.
The recess of the nose will be worked into my new edit but for the time being Im just keeping it simple with lineart, find a palette that works and I'll begin shading.

I've found myself modifying the first one to create a new base. I think I'll leave the cartoonish style until I can crack the realistic one first.

Edits:
Increased size of cranium by one pixel (will definately modify further once I have time)
Changed shape of eye sockets/nose
Modified teeth and both cheekbones.

I realise that there are still a few things to iron out but will have to find time to work on it. Will update once I have a palette and a good amount of shading.

Thanks for all the help so far.

Offline it

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: September 06, 2007, 09:04:04 pm
Right, I've had some time to work on the skull and I have came up with this WiP.

(not sure why the left cheek is spotted in this anim[problem with gif])

Edits:
changed shape of skull
worked on cheekbone
created a new palette

I'm inexperienced but I'm trying hard to create a dynamic palette but I can't help but pick boring predictable colours, any suggestions on how I can create a more 'exciting' palette? (In the mean time I will search for Palette tutorials)

I will continue to work on the facial shadows.. I'm not gonna give up on improving the teeth neither.
I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible until I get some C+C on how this new version fairs against the earlier skull.

And can i just ask opinions specifically on...
The eye dithering... is it too much?
My workflow... can I be more efficient in the way I go about constructing my sprite?

------ Rather than reply with another post, i'll continue here until I have completed a significant amount to rightfully bump this thread ------

I have got to work on them (top) teeth and I'm quite happy with the result so far, i feel as though the mouth will need more contrast but i will worry about that when the jaw is complete.

I am having to spend time on it here and there at the moment, so I will be happy when I can really get to work... completing it.

Any comments at all guys?

Thankyou
« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 06:29:01 pm by it »

Offline it

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Pixel Skull...updated 19:30 ~ 07 Sept

Reply #10 on: September 08, 2007, 12:33:01 pm
Ok, well I've made some headway on the teeth, can I have your opinions...

I've tried my best too correct the teeth, I don't think I've done that too badly but I'm still quite unhappy with the 'drab' palette, will definately work on that now, I think better colour choice will also allow me to minimise the amount of colours I use and also enhance some of the features of the skull itself...
« Last Edit: September 08, 2007, 02:24:51 pm by it »

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Re: [WIP] Pixel Skull...

Reply #11 on: September 08, 2007, 03:22:14 pm
The trick with pallettes isn't to 'just' do bog standard ramps... that's to say, selecting the brightest color, then darkest color and doing a 'ramped' gradient scale between.

Without risking an application war, it does depend on what app you're currently using to do your pixels. That asides... the key to interesting pallettes is to hue shift each color along the ramped scale...

so, for instance, If you begin with your scale you're currently using... take the darkest shade and using the RGB sliders (in whatever app your using) and add a touch of blue...

Now, take the brightest color in your scale and add a touch of Red.
Now go to the mid shade and add a touch of green...
So you should have 3 color tints in your scale?
Now... 'just' ramp between each of those 3 indexed colors... et voila... a more interesting pallette...

I'm just showing you a method here, there's more ways to work the pallettes obviously... but this way is a quick way to add interest to bog standard ramps...

Once you get a grip with that method, you can go in and tweak each color independantly... using a better understanding of color tints and ramps.

One final point... once you have that interesting ramp... you can now hue shift the whole lot... making for further interesting pallettes...

Within reason obviously...

Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com