AuthorTopic: Old School Arcade font  (Read 4469 times)

Offline Noveroth

• View Profile

Old School Arcade font

on: September 03, 2007, 07:57:57 pm

It's mostly Finished, but there are some letters that need work, and i just can't seem to fix them, They're pretty obvious which ones..

EDIT: Added transparency.
EDIT2: or not...
EDIT3: Got it.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 08:01:19 pm by Noveroth »

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Re: Old School Arcade font

Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 02:24:48 pm
The thing with fonts is that you really need to have a template to work with.

The symbols you're having problems with are common issues with any pixel based font. the W's, the M's, the Q's, etc

Also if you want to be truely old skool you should try and squeeze the font into units of 8 pixels, that's 8x8, 8x16, 16x16 - this is because everythign used to be done in character mapped screens... but that all depends on ones definition of old skool obviously... to some people spyro the dragon and croc is old skool, to me old skool is commando and galaga and space invaders.

anyway... have a look here...

I've highlighted inconsistencies in your Bigger font in green pixels... Look at the width of the B C and D - the b is 2 pixels wide, the C is 4 and the D is 3... then look at P... where the upper section is 2 and the lower 4 pixels... now generally speaking (unless you're font is DESIGNED to be irregular) then these parts I've hilgihted should be of a consistent width or style.

Typography is a highly specialized field of graphic art and one could go on forever about seriphs and kerning and leading etc etc... but I won't. The basic rule is consistency and the only thing consistent in your font is the copper banding gradient... which is very old skool I must admit.

Moving down I've illustrated in blue how one should begin any font... with the symbol '8' - from this you can create most other symbols. with the exception of W's and M's, I's and T's... (there's probably others) but point being you need to consider these too and besides... 8 is a good starting point.

Also, I've aligned them to an underlying 8x8 character grid - force of habit for me I'm afraid... but good rule of thumb for creating fonts... helps to be accurate.

I've also done 2 additional scales, 8x16 and 16x16...

The examples (in white) are for the letter A, and M, X(traditionally tricky) and the number 2... followed by the entire uppercase font in 8x8 - I've not ripped that font, I've created it on the fly in minutes using the technique described... it's no way an inspired font, it's not clever or stylish by any means... it's functional and fast to make and easy to read.

And finally for 'old skool' sake, I've added the gradient and a 1 pixel drop shadow (which still fits into the 8x8 grid).

So, what I suggest to you Noveroth, is to go back to the drawing board and rework that big font... the little font is fine, it's excellent in fact. The Big font you need to set yourself a template and stick to it... it doesn't have to be fixed to 8x8's like I've suggested that's just me... it can be any size, just make sure it's consistent...

Have fun.

Cheers
 :)

Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline rabidbaboy

• Jesus Beam!
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 12:59:31 am
Wow, baccaman, that was really helpful. ;D
Nice trick with the 8 there.

On the fonts, they really do look oldskool, though, I agree with bacca, to be truly oldskool, must follow oldrools. ;)
"Baboy" is Filipino for pig.

Offline Noveroth

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 02:26:22 am
Oldschool to me was NES  :P

And wow thats helpfull!

Yeah, i knew some didn't line up right(P especially) and i flipped J and Missed N <_<, And honestly, the only Oldschool look i was really going for was the Font i remembered from my childhood for the "ENTER YOUR INITIALS". And i have been reading what you've been saying, and well, i might not go with the size limits(also, i could go extreme and use a 16x32..  ::)) , but i will try and go for some more consistency between sizes. And i really appreciate the LCD style Way of saying everything can fit into one shape.

(And i like my Q)