AuthorTopic: Post your (real) desktop!  (Read 94849 times)

Offline goat

• bl33t
    • View Profile

Re: Post your (real) desktop!

Reply #20 on: August 04, 2005, 04:22:58 am
If you can get a decent tablet for $100 then go for it :p

I lucked out and found a brand new LCD tablet on ebay, and scored it for $550 USD. You can probably expect to pay at least $1700 for a new one of about the same size (15") if you buy directly from the manufacturer, but I see them pop up on auction and clearance sites all the time for way less.  Hell, you might even find one refurbished.  In my case, the manufacturer decided to get out of the tablet business and liquidated its entire stock at clearance prices.  A smart fella decided to buy a bunch up and ebay them with a small markup; when I received mine it was in the OEM packaging in mint condition. For the record, it's an Optoma PI500 and it's pretty badass (the specs are identical to the 15" Cintiq, and in some cases better), should anyone find another one I highly recommend it :p even though the product has been discontinued the manufacturer is still honoring the warranty.

Another thing to consider is that most LCD tablets DO have some shortcomings as far as reduced pressure sensitivity; mine only has 512 pressure levels as opposed to the 'standard' 1024, although honestly I can't tell the difference. LCD tablets can also be less responsive (meaning the pen refresh rate is lower and thus extremely fast movements won't be tracked as accurately), although mine is pretty damn smooth, and most high-end painting software will interpolate splines between brushstrokes to compensate anyway. I think Wacom's latest Cintiq model eliminates those shortcomings, in any case.

If you have the extra money and the sensitivity tradeoffs are worth being able to draw directly on the screen, then an LCD tablet might be worth the extra expense for you.  It was for me, anyway.
typing ewith fdace

Offline Negative Gravity

• I'm a Pixel!
    • View Profile
    • Zoomrix

Reply #21 on: August 04, 2005, 04:30:38 am
Wow thanks. Very nice review. I'll consider everything you said :) Great help.

aka: Zoomrix

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #22 on: August 04, 2005, 04:53:30 am

this is where the magic happens

Offline Negative Gravity

• I'm a Pixel!
    • View Profile
    • Zoomrix

Reply #23 on: August 04, 2005, 05:09:51 am
Sorry to go off topic but this is the last thing I'll post about tablets in this thread  :D

I'm thinking about buying the cheapest graphire that wacom has. (http://www.wacom.com/graphire/4x5.cfm)
I dont' want to pay 1799 USD for something I will only use as a hobbie.
Would you suggest it?

Offline Peppermint Pig

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: August 04, 2005, 12:30:45 pm
I'm not as allured by the thought of a tablet screen, but I suppose they could give a little extra finesse in the detail work on illustrations. Even so, having my hand obscuring part of the screen can give me an inadequate sense about the composition, and having to clean it sounds mundane, but that's how real life drawing is, so not a huge drawback I would think.

Negative Gravity:
I bought the cheapest graphire and I'm very happy with it. I'm sure the newer models are even nicer. It's good enough for your needs! If you're a non believer, I'll just have to show you some of the work I've done with it. :)

Helm: cryptic shots!!! That doesn't look like a very comfortable work area..

Offline Negative Gravity

• I'm a Pixel!
    • View Profile
    • Zoomrix

Reply #25 on: August 04, 2005, 06:24:26 pm
Sweet thanks peppermint pig :) I"m looking forward to seeing some of your stuff.
Well I finally got around to taking a photo of my "working" space.
Nothing like sitting with the smell of apple juice in the comfort of a morning blanket. All that needs is a tablet  ;D

« Last Edit: August 04, 2005, 06:38:43 pm by Negative Gravity »

Offline goat

• bl33t
    • View Profile

Reply #26 on: August 04, 2005, 08:45:25 pm
Graphires are ideal for pixel work, and more than enough for illustrative needs as well :P  I'm still a big fan of the old intuos1, they seem to be the most responsive of the series.

Yeah Helm, that's like right out of some crappy overproduced hollywood horror like feardotcom or whatever :z
typing ewith fdace

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #27 on: August 05, 2005, 08:09:51 am
a little back-pain is needed to produce billiance!!

Offline Mercury Rising

• View Profile
    • RaiderRobotix

Reply #28 on: August 07, 2005, 12:04:27 pm
Just fully read the entire topic as I came home from Trek, and gotta say, sure goat, thats dry milk...
Im too poor to buy tablets so...
Negative your desktop its so clean, and bare.
Oh and Ive replaced my pimp goblet with Crest Pro-Health Rinse Alcohol Free Mouth Wash.
Mmm refreshing clean mint.
Proud to be a BMS team:

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #29 on: August 12, 2005, 04:27:13 am

That's mah crib, yo! I mostly pixel on the one on the table, as it is older, and has more/better software for it, and a internet connection. The one on the desk is mostly for games, and I think of it as my personal arcade machine. I should actually post a pic of it playing dragon warrior, because that is what it is most often doing.

BTW: If I took the pictures better, you could see a better glimpse of my dungeon (I may post later)
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.