AuthorTopic: [WIP] Deep Rock Galactic. Portrait  (Read 2411 times)

Offline Kiadzu

• kiadzu
    • View Profile

[WIP] Deep Rock Galactic. Portrait

on: July 11, 2020, 12:47:20 pm

Hey everybody. I'm working on the portrait of Scout from Deep Rock Galactic.

It is my second attempt at pixel art, so I believe there is a huge room for improvements I didn't notice by myself. I'd love to get feedback from you on what I can do better here.

Reference:

Offline InfinityExperience

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Deep Rock Galactic. Portrait

Reply #1 on: July 28, 2020, 05:56:34 pm
First of all, i don't know the game at all.

My questions are: what is the purpose behind this sprite? Is it a model to use as a dialogue window? Is it a character that moves in a level? Or is it an accurate representation of the character?

Anyway i made some adjustments to give you an idea of how you should move. I modified the beard, the lights and some pixels here and there.

I'll write what i would change or i would pay attention to, in my opinion:

- Keep an eye on the the lights and the shadows, it seems like there are more light sources.

- Be careful on the palette (there are a few useful tutorials on youtube about that): if i were you i would try to use more shades, especially where there are more pixels.

- I've changed the beard because it takes more than 50% of the sprite and has little to no details and seems without any volume; it looks like a bib.

- If you do not have any pixel limit i suggest you to try and do the whole thing, instead of a portion of the body: arms,legs and so on.

- Be careful on the double pixels, because in this case it is not a stylistic choice or at least it doesn't look like it (i suggest you to see this youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gW1G_FLsuEs&list=WL&index=10&t=66s for the most common errors done by amateurs).

- The "scouter" (i don't know what it is to be honest) on the eye differs from the reference because of the colours you used. In your sprite, it looks like a monocle.

- The cloth has a black and blue pattern that is not present in your sprite, this make it seems like it has a cloack because of the few colours you used.

- Without the arms you could have a problem implementing tools for the character. If your intention was to represent only the torso and then add the arms then the torso is way too big.

Hope this will help you, good luck on your project.

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Re: [WIP] Deep Rock Galactic. Portrait

Reply #2 on: August 08, 2020, 06:06:57 am
It's difficult to explain why but The very first thing my eyes do when I see the reference photo is this:t

This may give you insight on your piece.
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.