AuthorTopic: Thought you knew animation?  (Read 5714 times)

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Thought you knew animation?

on: September 03, 2007, 10:15:34 am
http://johnkstuff.blogspot.com/search?q=anime Check out the blog from the guy of Ren & Stimpy. this particular link is a search for the word Anime in his post, since I know that is bound to be the biggest refference for many of us.

Ever since I actually started WORKING on animation jobs, I couldnt help but feel something was very very wrong...this guy helped me get a bit closer to knowing what.

Very very unique take on animation what it means where it's going and why. I have to say I agree with him on most stuff, mostly because he displays an ability to find good elements even in what he hates (anime), that is not to say that he isnt ignorant about it, he is...but he still makes so many good points I'm willing to ignore it.

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

Re: Thought you knew animation?

Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 02:23:52 pm
 :o That was a great article..compilation...thing. Took me a while to read, but it was worth it. I enjoyed the caption "A bit cold for my taste, then again the Japanese are a cold race". :lol:
Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 02:40:33 pm
I agree with this guy lots. Glad that people like him are speaking their mind on the internet.

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 03:51:46 pm
I really like this guy, I've always found myself somehow ending up at his blog and reading through it for a good hour or so.
here's probably his latest commercial work:
http://www.comcast.com/nintendo/
used to have a pretty funny ad for the contest, but now it just shows some of the characters.

one thing though.. I never really liked ren & stimpy. I liked the animation and general weirdness, but man I couldn't bare to listen to it, the voices, although recognizable were pretty jarring and I just always wanted them to stop talking, plus there was seemingly random sound effects for every insignificant effect like blinking etc
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 06:11:36 am
That's strange about Ren&Stimpy takaM I watched some vids on YT and I do like it. I have found out that I get bored of it over time, if you watch it for too much time in one sitting it becomes...boring somehow, I think it has to do with you getting used  the timing, since Ren&Stimpy tends to extend the actions so you can appreciate just how wacky the drawings are (and boy are they wacky)

you know what my favorite animation from Ren&Stimpy is? the baboon in "a yard too far" it's just so freaking hillarious how that baboon moves. my favorite gags are whatever the sargent does in the episode where they drafted.

glad it was so good for  you Malor =) check around the blog and maybe search for things that interest you, I think you're bound to find more interesting stuff if you are self driven while reading it....you know, if you're looking up your own stuff instead of what some wacky guy with  no avata andr a  complicated nick  told you to read :p

http://johnkstuff.blogspot.com/search?q=Otto+Messmer here's another post I found pretty interesting
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 06:45:11 am by Conceit »

Offline big brother

• herculeanpixel.com
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site

Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 03:11:47 pm
I highly recommend this blog also. John K. has a deep knowledge of animation and its history, so his perspective is a breath of fresh air. He deals with a lot more than animation, delving into design, style, color, and other foundational principles (which seem to be less and less present in mainstream media these days).

Offline Rawsushi

• View Profile
    • Terrormisu - The Art of B Rosaschi

Reply #6 on: September 04, 2007, 03:55:47 pm
On a similar note, I suggest checking out www.animationpodcast.com.  If you're interested in traditional animation/3D-animation, it's a great source of inspiration. It is for me, at least.

I'm also fairly certain that they've been trying to set up an interview with John K. for a while now.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 04:03:34 pm by Monsoon2D »

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #7 on: September 04, 2007, 10:48:43 pm
Really ? hrm I really oughta go check that sometime soon

http://www.animationarchive.org/2006/03/media-john-ks-storyboard-for-stimpys.html here's a couple 'o storyboards for ren & stimpy, I think for anyone thinking aboud doing actual scenes of animation it would be pretty nice to know how they plan it out =)

Offline Froli

• Dragon Highlord
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: September 06, 2007, 10:42:26 am
I learned a lot from those <blog> articles and it's really rich in history. The book he recommended is awesome  :y: