AuthorTopic: Katana  (Read 3859 times)

Offline Aline

• Still Learning
    • View Profile

Katana

on: September 02, 2007, 11:17:10 pm

A katana. I don't have too much to say about this, just that I'm quite proud of the result.

Offline JonathanOfDrain

• Lonely
    • View Profile
    • TheyWillEat.Us

Re: Katana

Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 11:49:47 pm
I think the hand guard (where the blade starts) has some readability issues and lacks some uhh depth? The part that is further away looks like it's the same distance as the stuff that's close. Maybe some darker colors or use less light colors. I don't know much about Katanas but I think the blade is wrong. The blade is jaggedy.

Any katana experts want to say something?

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 11:59:53 pm
Looks rubbery, I see what you were trying to do though, you should use reference: http://total.naruto.free.fr/ninja2/katana-grand.jpg
I might make a small edit in a bit, right now trying to improve myself.

Edit(Arne Style, Gray Mode):

I think your blade just curves too much, giving it that rubbery look I mentioned earlier, you were trying to make it shiny by doing all those light to dark transitions(Like you see in the movies, except it's only one and it moves across it). On the handle there just doesn't seem to be enough contrast and the colors are pretty bland, even on the katana, try to make the gray out of colors instead of grays(I think I have a few edits I did in the past with me substituting grays with colors that give it more of a zing but still looks gray, so search around on my posts, heres a good one of mine: http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=4606.msg57035#msg57035).
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 12:48:41 am by bengoshia »

Offline yueprofile

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 12:11:10 am
the blade looks flat

Offline Ian

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 01:02:30 am
the blade looks flat
...a katana blade IS flat.   :D

But, yes, the blade's shading does need some work.  You should make the highlight's and shadows follow the blades form, like in bengoshia's edit. The shine's of a metal are from the light from surrounding objects being intensely reflected off of the metal's surface.  The blade's planes would reflect the light off of themselves in the appropriate directions not randomly be highlighted in repeated fashions.

I feel the handle would look great with some more contrast.

Offline Destro

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 03, 2007, 02:09:22 am
here is a little edit
the handle is supposed to follow the curve and needs to be longer

sorry for killing the detail on the handle put it is more accurate

also like everyone else the blade is very flat...

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: September 03, 2007, 02:40:19 pm
quick sketch :

your blade is too thick, as is the handle, and the curve is strange.  the curve should be gentle and constant (or nearly so).  No matter what anime says, too, this is a two-handed weapon, and very few techniques exist for using it in a single hand (and most of them are stage tricks or desperation tactics).  The handle should be anywhere from 1/4th to 1/3rd the length of the weapon and be of a width to fit comfortably into the hand while being at the same time strong.  The handle also should generaly continue the curve of the blade.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.