AuthorTopic: [newb] Platformer-Mockup  (Read 3224 times)

Offline dkh

• View Profile
    • Indiana Jones and the Fountain of Youth

[newb] Platformer-Mockup

on: September 01, 2007, 12:20:57 pm
Hey guys,

I'm new here, so I hope I'm doing everything right. As the title says, I'm still quite the newbie when it comes to pixel-art. Here's a little mockup for a platformer-game, which I made for a small contest on a different forum. The restrictions where 128x128 and 32 colors.

128x128 with 32 colors...

I just noticed with the board-color in the background, it looks very dark - with a more neutral color it seemed brighter.

Anyways, what I'm looking for is criticism of all kind (as long as it stays constructive, of course) - I'd really like to hear how or what I could improve, in order for it to look more professional and... well... better. By the way, I admire a lot of work I've seen around here!

I'm especially curios when it comes to the colors I selected (spent a rather long time on it to create that sunset-atmosphere in the level) and the shading.

I look forward to including your suggestions (paint-overs are very welcomed as well, if you have the time) and posting other pieces of my work over time (and thus maybe documenting my way from a little pixel-pusher to a true pixel-artist)... ;)

EDIT: As you can probably see, I spent a lot of time watching Helm's mockup-video. It's not copied or anything though!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2007, 02:36:25 pm by dkh »

Offline Cow

• View Profile

Re: [newb] Platformer-Mockup

Reply #1 on: September 01, 2007, 08:11:25 pm
If you were going for a sunset feel, then having a warmer or a red/orange background would make the most sense. Also, this board has a built-in image zoom filter, so posting it at 1x is preferable. If the image is going to be enlarged this much, there isn't any reason to dither unless you want to make things grainy.

Also, you may want to consider level design a bit more in mockups, it isn't a major issue though really. Just that the level design is a bit cluttered... Oh, and also the sign's lightsource is different than the tiles'.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 01, 2007, 09:32:40 pm
Sorry for the one-liner, but since the forum has a built-in zoom-function, would you kindly post this in 1x so that I can see how the dithering works on small zoom levels et cetera?
' _ '

Offline dkh

• View Profile
    • Indiana Jones and the Fountain of Youth

Reply #3 on: September 01, 2007, 09:47:16 pm
Thanks for the interest so far. Yeah, I've noticed that zoom-function recently while browsing other threads. I didn't actually resize that picture, I just posted it with IMG width and height tags.

This is it in 1x:

128x128 with 32 colors...

So, yeah. Tell me where I f'd up! :)

EDIT: Oh, and @Cow: the leveldesign doesn't make much or any sense right now, I agree, but in that contest I entered, the part of the screen was already divided and set in stone. I couldn't change it.