AuthorTopic: [WIP] Avalon Image Dump  (Read 6917 times)

Offline Androk

• View Profile

[WIP] Avalon Image Dump

on: August 30, 2007, 07:45:26 pm
Figured might as well post a singular thread and just throw all of the images in here, as I progress. Anyway, I'm currently working on character design, mostly animation and what not. Right now trying o get the side view finalized and started working on the walking animation. Here is the progress on both so far:

--->
--->

PS: Sorry for double posting this, as there is already a thread about this on second page, but if mods could just delete it I'd appreciate it =D Honestly I should have started with a broader title to begin with. Oh also I did end up removing the back hand on the side view =)

Anyway any critique and commentary is always welcome.

[Edit] Updated with the walking animations so far.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 02:58:37 pm by Androk »
She's not guarding right now, she's just holding a thing to pass along to her husband warrior and then go do the dishes and change the diapers on the snake-babies.

Offline Androk

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Avalon Image Dump

Reply #1 on: September 01, 2007, 12:25:25 am
Well I'm now attempting Grass tiles. Now I'm still not sure if this is the concept I'm going with but ideally I'd want yellow (faded) grass with red leafs on trees, to create a warm environment. Granted the more I think about it the worse it sounds, but anyway, this is my attempt at a grass so far, just wondering if it reads at all :(

[Edit] Ehh maybe green grass is better x.x
« Last Edit: September 01, 2007, 12:55:47 am by Androk »
She's not guarding right now, she's just holding a thing to pass along to her husband warrior and then go do the dishes and change the diapers on the snake-babies.

Offline yueprofile

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 01, 2007, 12:45:37 am
Figured might as well post a singular thread and just throw all of the images in here, as I progress. Anyway, I'm currently working on character design, mostly animation and what not. Right now trying o get the side view finalized and started working on the walking animation. Here is the progress on both so far:

PS: Sorry for double posting this, as there is already a thread about this on second page, but if mods could just delete it I'd appreciate it =D Honestly I should have started with a broader title to begin with. Oh also I did end up removing the back hand on the side view =)

Anyway any critique and commentary is always welcome.

[Edit] Bah had to make a quick fix on the top pixel row of the sideview x.x
[Edit2] Just added the walking sideview. I think I gotta raise the sole of the front foot  a bit to make it look more like walking and less like gliding o.0

i think  the legs looks stretched in the side view. pls correct me if i am wrong

Offline miscdude

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 01, 2007, 08:41:18 am
uhh...the walking is...odd...
it almost looks like on the front view its a piece of paper being slightly twisted back, rather than a knee/leg going forward...
on the side view, its okay, but the legs look like its all one big bone or something. if you watch someone walk;they bring their knee up, and keep their feet at a reasonably similar angle when walking...atleast thats what ive seen. the coloring is okay although personally i think some hue shifts might be good...
with the grass...its..not very detailed, at all...
its one thing to make the character contrast in color depth luminosity or something like that, but it shouldnt be a difference in detail. you went from about...8 colors or so? (rough guess) to 3, and you only made dots for the grass, with shadows..if thats what theyre meant to be, o.o as far as readability goes i only knew it was grass because you said it was...

Offline Androk

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 03:58:38 am
K trying to address some of the issues, I redid the colors on the character a bit and was really satisfied with the result, I might have to do some hue shifts to make the character pop some more. Also edited the sidewalk to be the full 4 frame, with a passing frame.

Yeah I know a work a bit slow haha, I'll try and fix front view next =D

[Edit] Quick edit of the frontal leg passing frame, also I messed up the feet while fixing the frame x.x
[Edit2] k, fixed the feet, pretty satisfied with it, might end up adding 2 more in between frames though.

[Edit3] Started fixing up the front walk:

Any suggestions?

[Edit4] Fixed the snap on the leg (decreased it) because the 1 pixel downward movement does not justify that big of a snap :(
[Edit5] Added body rotation to the frontwalk.
[Edit6] Fixed the arm. Har I think it's pretty good now o.0
[Edit7] Wow walking cycles are tricky. I think this should do the trick though =D To explain what I did: On thepassing frame I used to have it so that the leg that's passing is in front of the leg that's going away, this is what gave it the feel of nothing being off the ground, if you switch the frames so that the leg that's going back is in the FRONT, while the leg that's coming up is in the back, it gives it a feel that the back leg is being lifted up. Rwoar!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 02:50:51 pm by Androk »

Offline miscdude

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 06:52:21 am
id say its much better ^^
both animations.
but
what about the upward walk?

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007, 07:56:49 am
Ow.
Bright skintones are bright!
Need more contrast, and skin pretty much needs hue-shifting to look good (in my experience).
Yours > < Mine

Pretty much: Try not to use Simpsons skintones. Bright yellow is very far off from reality, and is surprisingly, harder to pull off stylistically then plain old human tones.
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline Androk

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: September 06, 2007, 02:11:58 pm
miscdude: Thanks =D, and yeah I know gotta do upward walk, but I've been concentrating some more on grass tiles, just kinda wanna get it down now that character is almost done. Anyway, figured I'd post my progress on that so far o.0

Still can't seem to get it right :( For the second one I started with one of Adarias's palettes thinking maybe that was the problem, but nope. Oh palette was changed after I thought the shape was right (Just FYI)(I think I changed the palette, it was the 5th hour of the lecture, not sure if I saved the result though o.0 Anyway sorry if it still has your palette).
And finally, I'll attempt upward walking tomorrow or on the weekend, so you will get a chance to rip into it haha.

Sherman Gill: Oh wow! The difference is crazy o.0 Soo I followed your advice, and this is what came out:
> > >

So first I just switched hues, increment of around 6 for every tone, this ended up with a lobster like character, then I started adjusting brightness and saturation, but the character ended up with strong red outlines, so the final edit was to address that, and the finished version is there. I'm pretty satisfied. I didn't want a very strong outline, so I might have to change it up a bit, we'll see. Anyway if you see anything wrong I'd love to hear what you think =D

[Edit] A quick Edit, I was struggling with grass for quiet some time, but I think I have it now more or less, anyway without further adeu:

Tried to use baccaman's nifty tips on giving it volume from http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=2800.msg34633#msg34633

Anyway it seems like I'm have a palette problem which I hope to address soon, and also I'll need to add more different tiles to break up the grid.

BOOM color edits:

Leaning towards first one TBH. Not sure blue/green is that good of a combination
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 06:47:21 pm by Androk »

Offline Androk

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: September 27, 2007, 05:05:38 pm
Weee, long time no update because I'm pretty lazy. Anyway, just finished this. It's supposed to be like an imp thing, with a pig snout, heavy eyebrows and furry all over.

And I think I did the fur wrong but can't find any decent small reference for fur. (Pixel reference o.0)

[Edit] Woo Update!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 05:19:48 pm by Androk »

Offline FrostPumpkin

• View Profile
    • Tumblr

Reply #9 on: September 28, 2007, 06:41:47 pm
? ?
Just got more contrast and changed the legs