AuthorTopic: Resizing an image without it getting distorted  (Read 7107 times)

Offline jellyfish_overlord

• View Profile

Resizing an image without it getting distorted

on: May 28, 2020, 04:03:47 am
So I'm new here (Hi! :)) , and I'm new to pixel art (as in, this is day one of me trying out pixel art seriously). I do have experience in traditional art, so I'm hoping that will help me somewhat.

Anyway, I made something the wrong size (128 x 128 when I needed it to be 48 x 48. I'm trying to make a profile picture.) I thoroughly searched the internet, and all the resources I found said to go to All Frames > Resample and make sure that Smooth was unchecked (I'm using GraphicsGale). I did that but it just turned my art into pixel soup. Is there anyway I can resize it without it getting messed up? Or should I just start over.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 01:15:38 pm by jellyfish_overlord »

Offline hANshOTtH3RD

• View Profile

Re: Resizing an image without it getting distorted

Reply #1 on: May 30, 2020, 07:23:14 pm
hey there, not familiar with GraphicsGale(i do most everything in GIMP myself), although if your trying to resize, you might try converting to rgb, and then resizing, and then using that as a template to paint over. ...that's just one pixel-newb to another...

Offline Joe

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 12:12:14 am
Welcome, Jellyfish Overlord.  :)

It is correct to have smooth unchecked. However, GG only keeps your pixels crisp on a resample when the target size is a multiple of the current size. You could double your work to 96 and expand it, or triple it to 144 and reduce parts of it, but however you choose, it will need to be reworked. Also, avatars on this site do not need to be 128, that is only a size limit.

Having experience in traditional art will help you immensely. The best pixel artists are always good artists; I've never seen an exception.

Offline Nexty

• Failure is just the first step.
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 15, 2020, 12:33:16 am
Not sure if I am helping, but what I personally do is that I draw my character on an index card, scan it through my portable scanner, and as primarily an Aseprite user I ink and color the character over, scale it down to the appropriate level, and then clean up.

The results have varied.

My aim is to go for something Treasure-like. From my view, the characters made by Treasure all seem to be stick figures of some sort with meat on them.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 12:47:34 am by Nexty »

Offline AmparoV

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 06, 2020, 08:21:35 am
I use online tools like this: https://www.imageenlarger.com/es.html

They give good results  :)