AuthorTopic: [Help][Wip] Shading/Dithering ... (GUY) - now bird  (Read 10724 times)

Offline Genadinio

• View Profile

[Help][Wip] Shading/Dithering ... (GUY) - now bird

on: August 29, 2007, 03:14:01 pm
Hi all..
I need some help here is my wiP:
(its my first try to shade normal....)
I know that there is a lot of good examples and tutorials.. i just triing to improvisade :P
What i am already done bad... Or where what should i change .
P.S. Leg was mirrored :P
p.S.S. Don forget its Wip and i am talking not about outline and aa... I need help with shading..

Thanks .
Genadinio,  :crazy:
« Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 08:24:06 am by Genadinio »

Offline OzBlueShoes

• View Profile

Re: [Help][Wip] Shading/Dithering ... (GUY)

Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 04:09:51 pm
Well, right off the bat your pillow shading. Simply, your adding highlights because you want them there, not because they are there. First, pick a light source, and shade away from that. You can also add an ambient light, so when it's actually at it's darkest it gets a bit lighter (usually blue). Also a note on pillow shading, it's sort of like a bulls-eye, you start with a color, then add a light color in that, and so on, and so on. Don't do this, as it is guaranteed to make your work look bad. If I really didn't explain it that good, check out some tutorials or something, I think Helm and Pep made one with some like cake eating ghost/robot. That one is great, if you can find it.

Also, a note on the legs, you can say it's mirrored, but that doesn't make it okay, if the tops not going to be mirrored, then the bottom should look different as well. As far as anatomy goes, he looks like he's got a bit of scoliosis.

I hope I really helped, and don't get discouraged. Practice, and work hard at it, and bet you could be as good as Helm and Moonson2D (etc...).

Offline Phlox

• huh??? what???
    • View Profile
    • Can Games

Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 04:25:11 pm
When you shade you should probably do all of the shading before going back and dithering just so you can make sure it looks ok and you dont have to waste alll your time redithering over and over again.  And if you are going to pick a light  source for a picture where he is not in a scene (such as he is standing under a street light)you really don't want to  pick right above his head. You should remember that this is sopposed to look 3D or as real as possible so your light source can be any where not just to the left,right, top or bottom it can be in the top left or something. 

Also you said your not here to talk about outlines but you really should focus on the outlines before you try and shade and you shouldn't have a black outline unless your drawing something that is going to be cartoony. Plus his anatomy should be fixed to before shading.  For his anatomy his legs are a little low and his arms don't have elbows.  also his hands look like they are in his pants not his pockets and his back is disfigured like OZ said.  You should try and look up some things online about drawing human anatomy.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 04:27:18 pm by Phlox »

Offline Genadinio

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 05:12:41 pm
Ok thx all now update...
still dont know what to do with shoulders... :)
aded outline and tried to add AA ...

Offline OzBlueShoes

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 06:07:34 pm
If someone is going to take the time to reply to you request for C+C, then you could at least read it. You need to get the anatomy correct before you start shading. Also, if you listen to Phlox, he also said don't make the light source right above the character. Now, if you honestly are going to have the light above the guy, is it in front of him, or behind him, you seem to have it perfectly above him, but you have to take in account shadow thrown by the head. I suggest you take the advice, and go back to lineart, and start over.

I saw a quote by someone on here... I don't remember who but they said something to the effect of "a rough gem is worth more than polished garbage." Now your lines are not THAT bad, but you do gotta fix em' up buddy.

Offline Genadinio

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 29, 2007, 06:55:44 pm
hmmm...
1.anatomy is good..
2.change light source? but .....  :'( ok maybe i will change : thanx for help.. i think i will update tomorow ... any examples of works like mine with normal choosed lightsouce? i want to watch..

P.S. As ussually sorry for mistakes...

Offline OzBlueShoes

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 29, 2007, 07:18:25 pm
You have two people telling you the anatomy is wrong, I suggest you stop being lazy, and fix it.

Offline Phlox

• huh??? what???
    • View Profile
    • Can Games

Reply #7 on: August 29, 2007, 07:21:39 pm
Here is a thread on this site that could help your anatomy:

http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=3224.0

And here is a website that could really help:

http://pixelchallenge.com/index.php?id=4

Your should look at the section call human structure on that page 

Now get crack'n :crazy:

Offline Genadinio

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007, 08:35:24 am
This character maked from photo.... How can anatomy be wrong?  :huh:

Ok...Ok. i will make another one  >:(

OK Update:
Lineart... Now anatomy good?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 09:07:47 am by Genadinio »

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: August 30, 2007, 09:33:55 am
Not only is that better, but it's also a thousand times more interesting to look at. I'm curious, though, could you show us the reference photo you used for the first one? It's always good to show a reference if you've used one. That way people can compare the pic with the reference and point out what's wrong. Because there is seriously something odd about the first one you made.