AuthorTopic: My face  (Read 6015 times)

Offline JonathanOfDrain

• Lonely
    • View Profile
    • TheyWillEat.Us

My face

on: August 31, 2007, 01:08:02 am
I made this self portrait a little while ago, would love to finish this. I think the skin's texture is ok. Needs some color work, hair is crap. looks like scribbles.
<Old-New>

Any c+c would be loved. <3 JoD
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 05:47:01 am by JonathanOfDrain »

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Re: My face

Reply #1 on: August 31, 2007, 06:38:54 pm
Ok, suggestions for improvement:

1. Introduce hue shifts to both hair and skin tones. All the colours seem to be different shades of the same colour.
2. The ear seems small and misplaced.
3. The area between the eye and ear is flat.
4. The eyes are aligned towards the upper left corner of the head.. despite the angle of the head.

Show us the reference photo if you've got one.

Offline Danik

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 31, 2007, 07:16:12 pm
The nose looks like its in the wrong perspective, if you compare it with the mouth and chin. And the eyes placement is a bit wierd.
I made a quick messy edit for you to illustrate:

Moved the eyes a bit, changed the nose and the far outline of the face, edited the ear, changed some shadows, edited the chin a bit.
I didn't move the eyebrows which gave him an expression of fear or suprise. ;P

Hope it was of some help, cheers!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 07:18:37 pm by Danik »

Offline JonathanOfDrain

• Lonely
    • View Profile
    • TheyWillEat.Us

Reply #3 on: August 31, 2007, 07:34:36 pm
I tried playing with the skin tones (have some slightly humorous ones.) and didn't seem to like what I got. It does look like old fashion silly putty, doesn't it?
still very poor color ramp but thought I'd humor you guys a bit.
I think the color ramp is improved... slightly. I think I need to draw this one out to get the anatomy right. I think the eye looks better, AA'd the hair a bit.
No reference picture. Just me looking in a mirror a lot, I think that explains some of the mess ups. I have a pretty symmetrical face so I need to fix my nose. Also I kind of made myself looks a little more masculine. My jaw/chin isn't as awesome as that (or as awesome as I want that to be).

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.

Danik thank you. That looks much better, I think you're right. Perspective was a bit... wonky. I'll start working on it now.

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 31, 2007, 07:43:13 pm
Yours -> <- Mein

Very very slight edit.
Pretty much, the darker the skin gets the redder and less saturated it gets.
There's also some rosiness added to the cheeks for the hell of it.
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline JonathanOfDrain

• Lonely
    • View Profile
    • TheyWillEat.Us

Reply #5 on: August 31, 2007, 08:09:50 pm
Danik, Sherman Gill and everyone else. I hope this is an improvement. Thank you very much for all the advice you've given me so far.
Mine:Gills:
Oops, forgot to fix the ear. I'll get to that after the hair. Any tips on the hair? I'm having trouble making it look like hair instead of a shape with highlights scribbled on. I think I'm giving it too much volume.... *experiments*
UPDATE!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 10:32:31 pm by JonathanOfDrain »

Offline Danik

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: September 01, 2007, 09:27:00 am
I think the hair looks pretty good. Maybe you can make it feel more shiny if you dither it less, and make bigger highlights.
But the skull has some anatomy issues. Don't be afraid to use a bigger brush and reshape the face when you have to. You have to make the form right to begin with before dithering and polishing. Try a 2x2 brush.

Im a little confused with the light source. Is it supposed to be from straight above or a bit from the side? That shadow on his right cheek confuses me because I can see it, which tells me the light is coming from my right. But the other shadows, on the nose for example, tells me otherwise.

The skin tones are looking much better now.

Offline JonathanOfDrain

• Lonely
    • View Profile
    • TheyWillEat.Us

Reply #7 on: September 02, 2007, 06:18:21 pm
I've been looking at the anatomy and it's off. I think it's the bottom of the image. It's a weird jaw.
I made this before I gave it a better look, I fixed the hair/cut it. practiced my AA with the hair at the side of the face, I think that hair should probably be longer.

It look like the chin should be pointing down more. My anatomy is kind of off so any help would greatly be appreciated.

It's starting to look like a mask. :\ Is this just too bizarre of an angle. I keep looking at my own face and can't seem to get the angle right.  :'( I'm truly distraught. Maybe not distraught but I'd like to get this part fixed.

Big thanks to people for not criticizing me making the eyes kind of ... void and white. And just odd style in general.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 04:54:46 am by JonathanOfDrain »

Offline Danik

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: September 03, 2007, 10:55:43 am