AuthorTopic: Justice Time!  (Read 3666 times)

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Justice Time!

on: August 27, 2007, 08:22:23 pm
Got inspired by ben2theedge and his Scott Pilgrim sprites and decided to make a little something myself. Making fighting sprites of comic characters is cool, so I decided to do:

Jacob/Jake from the comic "Jacob Jericho and the Baseball Bat of Justice"

Sound familiar? Not? (Jericho, you're not supposed to answer this rhetorical question) Well, that's because it exists only in my head.

I'm searching for ideas so I can realize it, but basically it's about a guy who by chance gets his hands on a baseball bat that can

And this is the result :D The name Jacob Jericho is something I chose so it'd sound cool even if Jericho on the board has the full right to interpret it as a shameless wink/flirtation and instantly marry me since she draws poops with ' v '-faces.

Critique aweigh, as usual I'm kinda inefficent with my pixel techniques. 16 colors including bg color. Dissect and tell me where the smelly parts is :3
' _ '

Offline Jericho

• View Profile
    • AppleLoaf Valley

Re: Justice Time!

Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 09:00:49 pm
wheres the ring?? no marriage w/o a ring pffftt  :mean:. I'll take the shameless wink/flirting anytime tho ;D

Now! onto the pixelly type things. I'm not at home so can't make any edits (this screen is all fuzzy and gross so it hurts to pixel on), but..*sniffs* i smell some redundant colours still >_>. When I get home I'll take a closer look and see what things i can point out.
Alice is dead. We cut off her head.

Offline Ornust

• Nooblet. ;_;
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 11:51:10 pm
In your version, all the darker folds on the lighter shirt made the shirt look quite flat. I removed them, but did not know what to do about them..  :yell:

However, I did refine the shadows and shapes slightly, besides the minor changes here and there.

The only reason I stopped posting is because I'm afraid of every Administrator in the world
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 11:53:03 pm by Ornust »
The Newbie's Newb.

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 12:14:32 am
Edited the jacket, his left hand, and his shoes.

The hair made me believe your lightsource was from the right.

Offline Jericho

• View Profile
    • AppleLoaf Valley

Reply #4 on: August 28, 2007, 04:20:27 am

1.Right off the bat I noticed some groups of colours that were quite similar. They could easily be ramped into each other. Specifically the pants/jacket palettes. If you replaced the dark colour of the pants with the light colour of the jacket and just edited the light colour of the pants a bit you would be rid of another colour from the count and it would perhaps smooth the overall look of the piece (if that makes sense xD).

2.Now this may just be a personal preference but I hate #000000. To me it kind of washes colours out. Why not try going for a dark blue or even purple? Either easily replace black.

3.I love the fact that his bat is red haha. However I dont like that nothing else in the picture is. It makes the bat stand out a bit much to me. I think thigns would look better if perhaps you replaced the orangey colours with a more pink/redish tone? Not just to tie the bat in, but also b/c the orange is also sort of washing things out..it looks dull.

4.selout ftw :).

5.the shadow! the bat is being held outward at an angle but yet the shadow is completely horizontal. Maybe try angling it a bit?

Example for suggestions: (note that my edit is an edit of souly's edit actually xD)

Alice is dead. We cut off her head.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 02:09:28 pm
O:

The darker outline obviously works better at a lighter background. I'll look into the changes.

Actually, saving colors is a good cause, but if I did, it's be for the sake of saving colors to create even more diversity.

#000000 is evil, but then I kind of digged it for the comic-like feel of it all. Plus, I had this idea that his eyes HAD to be pure black and white. Pure white and black are normally not at all what I prefer, but for this one, I thought I'd try.

I had the idea that merging colors between the pants and the jacket was a bad idea, but now that I see it in action, I completely dig it.

The Baseball Bat of Justice will stay red, and the hair will stay orangey-brown. I don't think that red'll be a reoccurring color, I mean, the cool thing about it is that it's totally red. unification can both hurt and help a picture. I want the bat to really shine with its red shinyness.

Anyway, revamp coming up. Darker outlines on pants, define a lightsource, etc. I should get home before that, though.

I dig the finish you've put on it (even though the hair lost the color it should have) but I'll keep it as simple as possible, since I may want to animate it :D

The pants are nice and all, you removed the white jaggies (I know I should've erased those, but I hoped it'd look like a seam in the pants and therefore look realistic, but it failed D;) but effectively added new ones at the end of the scarf and stuff.

Helm has brain-washed me, sel-out shouldn't be used when it creates jaggies D; Evil jaggies. Aw well.
' _ '