AuthorTopic: Scott Pilgrim Fan Game  (Read 43215 times)

Offline Mirre

• Pokémon Trainer
    • View Profile
    • LINNEART

Re: Scott Pilgrim Fan Game

Reply #30 on: September 24, 2007, 07:35:44 pm
Hey, don't let him put his guard down when kicking. It would not be very good in a fight ^_~ * knows the pain of it* Love the movement of the leg though and how he's shouting, and the zombie hipster... mm purple hair.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 07:37:24 pm by Mirre »

Offline junkboy

• jnkboy
    • jnkboy
    • View Profile

Reply #31 on: September 27, 2007, 09:02:31 am
Yes! Finally, a game where you beat the shit out of zombie hipsters.

Seriously though, this is awesome. You've maintained the look of the comic very well. Please finish it!

Offline chrishaley

• View Profile

Reply #32 on: October 17, 2007, 04:08:50 pm
These look incredible!
How much do we need to pay you to make sure you finish this?  :)

Offline Rargh!

• View Profile

Reply #33 on: October 18, 2007, 05:16:44 am

Never heard of Scott Pilgrim until this thread, but those chars and anims are brilliant. I had to go and check the SP site, I was that impressed. You've totally smashed the style. Well done.  :y:

Oh, and I agree about the 1-2-3 vs 4 punch by Bengoshia. The slow-down in the later version, while giving impact to the uppercut, kills the pacing somewhat. Love B.O.B.s little hair movements, too.

Defintiely keep working on this!!

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #34 on: October 21, 2007, 01:01:01 pm
Seeing as this got bumped up I'll throw another one on here - lately work has been leaving me exhausted, but I'm trying to regain momentum.

SLAM DANCE ATTACK!
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #35 on: October 21, 2007, 01:16:29 pm
hmmm... yum... nice motion.

dunno if you meant to or not... but personally I'd slide the left foot/leg (ours) forward instead of the right (ours) back... or in other words, he should push from the trailing leg into the whirlwind punching motion...

another nice touch would be to perhaps just have an eye peeking through the hair on the whirling sequence... you should be able to do it if you rais an eybrow and have a bit of white and the red pupil showing... (under the fringe) but only one eye though... whilst I'm on the subject of this element, his ear is missing... I think you need to bring it back here, either poking through the hair a bit, or fully exposed.

I dunno if this would be off style but I think a skull or other logo on the Tee shirt would be an excellent design choice too... (it would add an extra level of complexity to your anims though so think carefully before you do it)

One final point, now I'm really looking at it... I think you need to have the black finger nails appearing as part of the mo-blur of the windmill too...

All in all...Nice.
Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #36 on: October 25, 2007, 02:30:57 am
The end of the animation is quite sudden.
I think one more frame in between the swinging and the end would help very much.

Other then that the animation is great.
The sense of motion is done really well.
I tried animating motion trails and failed pretty bad.
Hopefully I can take some pointers from what you've done here.

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #37 on: October 25, 2007, 01:30:38 pm
Baccaman and Souly, thanks for the feedback! I agree with you both.

Souly, the key to motion frames is that they really have to connect the frame before and after - a motion trail can't be drawn where the moving object couldn't have physically passed. For me this usually takes a lot of fine tuning. Generally I direct people to this cartoon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpOPyjmB8SI as it's the best example I have ever seen. Timon's movements in The Lion King are prime examples as well - rent the DVD and watch him in freeze frame and you'll learn everything you need to know about motion blurring.
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline robotacon

• robotacon
    • View Profile
    • It Got Dark

Reply #38 on: October 25, 2007, 07:14:20 pm
Superb technique Ben. It's not as often that you see someone with true knowledge in animation drawing sprites for games.

I'd drop the last two frames of the Slam Dance Attack and do something else to get back to the default stance.
That would also remedy some of the feet action that works when moving forward but that looks slippery in reverse.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #39 on: October 25, 2007, 08:29:11 pm
indeed just two new frames inbetween the end of the animation and the idle pose, pretty linear.