AuthorTopic: Scott Pilgrim Fan Game  (Read 43199 times)

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Re: Scott Pilgrim Fan Game

Reply #20 on: September 11, 2007, 01:29:33 am
if these are "weak" attacks (as opposed to some sort of wind-up-power-hit) then they are great, but if there's no stronger punch i would try to add some strength to these by taking out the deceleration and replacing it with a more powerful one, and experiment with different ways to have it pass through the space rather then the sort of automobile style with the simple accelerate/decelerate pattern

lovely stuff these, and you work so quickly!  normally i wouldn't expect to see such quality come out of quick drafts
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #21 on: September 11, 2007, 03:53:22 am
Thanks guys! Adarius thanks for that little illustration - I couldn't figure out why his punches seemed so whimpy! I think the problems were stemming mostly from his second punch, after the jabs but before the uppercut. I gave him a wind-up and animated his legs a little more. I fixed a few other little problems too while I was at it.
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #22 on: September 11, 2007, 04:01:21 am
Shoes randomly get brighter, a bit too much in my opinion, the third punch seems a bit slow aswell, I think it'd look better as a 1-2-3 punch instead of a 4 punch. Keep up the good work.

Offline gamefrnzy

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: September 12, 2007, 01:26:04 am
hmm in the idle animation it seems like the hair just sudenly covers the ear when it goes back to the first frame
looks odd

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #24 on: September 12, 2007, 05:04:13 am
Started on a new animation: walking. I'm not too happy with the leg movement at all... it looks more like he's power-walking than anything... I have a feeling I'm gonna end up going back to the drawing board on it.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 05:06:16 am by Ben2theEdge »

Offline Mirre

• Pokémon Trainer
    • View Profile
    • LINNEART

Reply #25 on: September 12, 2007, 03:01:56 pm
Thiese are some damn sweet sprites. I love the sprites, the style is so cool and cute! I like how it's simple, yet detailed. Nice work.

I can see what you mean about the walking animation. I think the problem might be that he is bending his knees too much. Looks like he's walking with his knees up to the waist. When walking relaxed the legs are a bit more outstrectched. Changing this would make the sprite slightly taller than the jabbing (except the upwards jab, then) and idle ones I think. The movement of the arms in the walking animation is really sweet though.

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: September 12, 2007, 03:30:02 pm
The walk animation does look stiff, but I think that stiffness has some benefits too: it really looks like he's marching forward to kick some ass. I guess that march being the adjective that immediately sprung to mind shows the accuracy of Mirre's observation about the knees. I guess it really comes down to which direction you want to go in. Terminator or James Bond (really crappy analogy there).

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #27 on: September 12, 2007, 10:03:47 pm
yours: =>>mine:

I decided to give a helping hand(hopefully). I'm still a little rusty in animating, so bear with me. You have most of the basics down, and you definitely are obtaining some fluid motion, which is great. But his walk still needs a little more work in my opinion. I decided that the whole bent knees thing wasn't working for the best. I just changed 4 frames, which mostly just consisted of outstretching the legs to see if they did look better in comparison to your original walk cycle. I also added to the animation count so it adds up to 3 complete walk cycles(thats 24 slides in total). Yikes!!! I know, you probably need to conserve frames for limitations and whatnot, but experimenting is always fun. The reason for tripling the cycle, is to see if adding a blink, and hour bounce would take away from the supposed stiffness. It's definitely understandable if you're on a time schedule, though, which would mean fiddling around with small things like this don't quite add up to the priority of a finished product. Looking great, though. Hope this helps!
my back hurts...

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #28 on: September 24, 2007, 01:20:31 pm
Update!

Modified his walking, now he doesn't look like he's stomping around like a toddler! And added kick and jump.

And started on an enemy zombie hipster.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 01:22:49 pm by Ben2theEdge »

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #29 on: September 24, 2007, 02:28:53 pm
HTF did i miss this!!!  Scott Pilgrim is the winningest comic evar....

I think Adarias's advice about timing/sequencing earlier still stands, and a tad of motion blur would not be out of place during the kick motion (especially since its SP!!).  Zombie Hipster looks fantastic, keep it coming!