AuthorTopic: Need help with vegetation  (Read 6855 times)

Offline Danik

• View Profile

Re: Need help with vegetation

Reply #10 on: August 26, 2007, 11:13:19 pm
I have been trying to come up with some nice looking grass tiles.

Heres what it looks like with the bush.

I think I need to give the bush a shadow to blend it in.
But it blends in too much on the light side so Ill have to separate it there somehow...

Update:

« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 11:42:06 pm by Danik »

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: August 27, 2007, 07:42:55 am

Admittedly, I didn't work the grass as much as I should, but should illustrate a couple things you can do to improve. The palette could use a little optimizing after I butchered it, too.

One thing to note, don't let the grass distract from your main focus. On the grass avoid using shades that have values equal with your brightest values on the bush.  Otherwise they end up competing with each other and you get a super-bright thingy that hurts your eyes.

You'll notice I did use brighter shades on the grass nearer to the bush, but I avoid using the brightest shade you have on the bush, settling for the next closest. To polish it off I might've added a couple more blades leading away from the bush

I edited your bush to get rid of the dark black pixels on the lightest side. By keeping them on the darker side I think the image pops more and better separates the dark/light areas. I felt your old version had a paper cutout feel to it. I also toned down the overall contrast by bringing the darkest black forward a couple shades.

Keep it up, there's been lots of improvement so far and you have plenty more to improve if you want. The grass to me is a weak point right now. You've picked the nicest of the 3, but it needs some touching up and some attention given to the pixels. It's too scribbly right now

Offline Danik

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: August 27, 2007, 05:42:48 pm
Thanks a lot crab2selout! I tried to follow your advice. I can't get the grass to look right, it's still pretty sketchy. But toning it down worked much better.

Offline Danik

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: August 31, 2007, 01:21:27 am
Here is a quick mockup to show of the path tiles I made today.