AuthorTopic: an armoire covered in icepicks  (Read 15312 times)

Offline im9today

• xtrwsqgcxct
    • View Profile

Re: an armoire covered in icepicks

Reply #30 on: August 29, 2007, 02:46:47 am
It's very true. So I redesigned the opening hallway. Now it has lots of blue shades, animated cloths on the walls, moonbeams, and plants cropping up.

As you can see, I've also addressed the health bar problem. Now the bars are glimmering jewels that splinter apart as they decrease. There are a few more features I still have to add to the room, like more varieties of plants and torn cloths, and some burned areas and debris.

Does this look enough like mold or fungi? I couldn't seem to really capture the dank, spreading creepiness of mold.

Latest version of character.

Clear version of the ghost above.

The outside area is also nearing completion. I am currently animating all the tress, grass, ivy, and waterfalls. Quite a pain. Critiques, especially design critiques, would be appreciated.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #31 on: August 29, 2007, 03:25:37 am
Ay yi yi! The tiles are um...overrendered and overcontrasted. You gotta remember to treat tiles like the background objects they are, man. I mean sure, you used black in the character but not in the 'nviroment, but still, the BG makes things much cluttered. And at first I looked at the wall and couldn't even tell what it was. I thought it was leaves. A thick wall of leaves. It blends with the ground too much methinks. and likewise, is overrenditoed. I think the wall needs an overhaul, honestly. I see what you were trying to do with the ground tiles but the 2px outline around each tile is a bit much. I mean, it looks more like a bunch of separate pillars than a cohesive floor.
I think the plants could pop out more.
I like the healthbar and moss.
On the sideways walk, the near foot never really steps down. It just, like, reverses. Down-walk is good, though. Just finish it.
I think I get the ghost, but it's a bit hard to tell what's what. Either way, I must say I'm not too fond of it. Some simpler more implied forms would be more ghastly than many little details, imho.
Hmmm....hmmmmm....
I think I might've liked the girl better with the brighter shirt...

Offline im9today

• xtrwsqgcxct
    • View Profile

Reply #32 on: August 29, 2007, 04:10:03 am
Thanks for the indepth feedback Xion! :0 As far as a color scheme for the tiles, any input?

I forgot to post this new enemy, I'm worried it might not be readable:

It is supposed to be made of blood and blades. Blades mostly, with a shield for the torso.

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Reply #33 on: August 30, 2007, 04:46:03 pm
I think it would help a lot if you brighten the floor tiles to separate them from the walls. It would also make the characters stand out more.

For the blood and blades, I think it's an awesome idea :D, but I think it looks much too solid and too yellow for blood. I'm thinking more like liquid in zero gravity, drops separating from the head and floating around it.