AuthorTopic: [WIP] Aang - Isometric sprite  (Read 4213 times)

Offline Enker

• View Profile

[WIP] Aang - Isometric sprite

on: August 17, 2007, 07:11:50 am
I'm trying to improve my pixeling skills after taking about a year off.

The character is meant to be Aang from Avatar: the Last Airbender
I used Sora's sprite from the GBA version of KoH as reference for pose and anatomy assistance

I've also been working on a mockup of sorts.  Clearly its a heavy WIP, but I'd like to know what people think of it.
the sand near the wall is only sketched in, and I do plan on adding a floor at some point

The mockup is designed after this screen:
http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/3/3a/Air_Nation_Symbol.jpg

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Aang - Isometric sprite

Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 12:28:50 pm
Maybe you shouldve made the floor angled along with the grid. The general idea is okay but I dont think there's much to say so far as I do not know your working order and all. Nonetheless there is one thing, you shaded the yellow part at the legs as pants but actually it is a skirt of some sort. The same goes for the red torso-part being a piece of cloth and not having noticable sleeves.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 03:39:42 pm
Everything is pretty choppy, as a general rule heavily dithered tiles = a nono.  The character's pose is interesting, but some of the forms get really lost with this shading style, and the mantle  and feet and face could really use some cleaning.  Also, the star is Aaed with a darker color than what it will rest on - another nono.  Still, the basics are pretty good and that stone wall is rather appealing, I would love to see this later down the line with a bit more substance and polish.

I don't like this show, but i've seen enough of it to know that the mantle does have sleeves and the yellow bit is pants.  not sure what you were thinking of trev?
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 06:06:10 pm
Way too much emphasis on the tattoo on his head, it's too large. You might also want to look at the sprites of the actual Avatar games on GBA for reference, as last I remember, they weren't half bad.
I also think the pants are a bit too short, you should make them go up the torso more.

Offline Enker

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 08:34:20 pm
Thanks for the replies.  Sorry it took me so long to get back -- I've been moving into my new house.

Trev -- The pants definately aren't a skirt, but I agree with you about the mantle.  The only think is, every picture I saw of Aang with his arms down, there are deep folds along the sleeve-lines.
ex:http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l35/avatar_portal/official_pics/aang01.jpg

Adarias - I was actually trying to get a small outline (selout?) on the star.  A full one-pixel outline was too big for it.  I've scrapped that idea in the latest mockup though.

Dusty -- I didn't know there was already an Avatar game out there -- thanks for the heads up.  I was worried they would've completely outdone me, but to be honest, I'm not very impressed by their Aang sprites:

Anyway, I tried to clean up the original sprite as much as I could.  I'm still unsure about how to go about shading the mantle:

Also tried a side-pose.  I'm having trouble getting the head to sit right on the body, and the angle of his chest looks a little off still.

And I worked more on the mockup. 

I maybe should've taken Adarias' advice about dithering more to heart -- especially since my floor and wall aren't matching up now.  If anyone has any ideas on how to shade the sand, or a better look for the floor, I'd love some help.