AuthorTopic: [WIP] My 1st mockup on mockup frenzy, help.  (Read 3105 times)

Offline KAT

• View Profile

[WIP] My 1st mockup on mockup frenzy, help.

on: August 22, 2007, 05:42:49 pm
Hello ;0 This is 2nd version of my mockup on mockup frenzy. I have big problems with buildings shading :( I`m glad if somebody could help me with shading or show me how i can do it. Any opinions and critics are welcome. Thanks.

PS. Bombs are still not good visible, i dont know how i can correct this, but i`m still trying :P

OK HERE IS NEW VERSION (but not good enough :/):

3rd VERSION (shadows under windows ledge now are in right place, better building perspective):

« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 10:32:24 pm by KAT »

Offline PASSOUT

• The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] My 1st mockup on mockup frenzy, help.

Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 10:12:07 pm
I sugest removing the black in the brick wall.And have a grey color inbetween the bricks for the mortar.
"Well, if you're still reading this, then stop. Go practice! Do a drawing. Just make shit, you know, something that is exclusively a product of you. "

Offline Fingerfoods

• Barq's Root Beer is delicious
    • View Profile
    • fingerfoods.tumblr.com

Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 11:20:11 am
First of all, the shadows on everything tend to be very light. It needs contrast, less clutter, and slightly lighter outlines. Secondly, I think that you need a lot of simplification. The screen is just too small for what you've got going on. Sacrifice fifty thousand highly-detailed bricks for larger, more visible ones. Then do the same to everything else.
Follow my blog!
fingerfoods.tumblr.com

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 01:59:36 pm
Sorry in advance if this sounds like I'm ripping it apart - there are some fundamental problems with your mockup.

Basically it seems like you are fighting with the natural way of visually communicating. You have tiny, low contrast, low saturation foreground images that you're trying to make stand out against a high color, high contrast background. I would start by lowering the contrast of the background and making the colors more subtle. If it's supposed to be at night there should be a bluish tint to everything, not just the sky. I don't think it would hurt to make the bombs bigger and give them color - make them red, maybe, or something else that will be easy to see.

I would make the lives/score bigger so they fill up that black bar, too. Right now there is a *lot* of wasted space there - you're only using half of the bar.
I mild from suffer dislexia.