AuthorTopic: [WIP] Pixel House  (Read 9935 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: [WIP] Pixel House

Reply #10 on: August 22, 2007, 02:48:16 pm
This is really cute in action. Perphas you need less prominence in the colors of the ground to separate the levels, like this:

Offline Miya

• View Profile
    • Gallery

Reply #11 on: August 22, 2007, 05:06:04 pm
Obsidantion: wow thanks a lot for taking the time to put it together  :-*
im not sure what exactly this dithering is, is it just making the lines lighter? wich btw looks so much better than my version lol
i downloaded that gamemaker too now and i feel so lost 8D; oh well more tutorials to look for when im at work

Helm: yea i guess you are right there but i think id need a lot more little detail things then (flowers and whatever) cause just that grass and my 3 rocks look a little plain haha but thanks for pointing it out :)

Offline Obsidantion

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: August 22, 2007, 11:07:36 pm
I hope you figure out Game Maker, it's simple when you know how but it's not for everyone. If you’re just looking for a way to put images together in a mockup, paint is fine with the select tool, copy and paste. If you want to bring your creations to life with programming, then Game Maker's your best bud.

This is dithering:

There are lots of different effects and textures that can be emulated with dithering.
Here's a tutorial if you’re interested to learn more - http://www.derekyu.com/extras/pixel08.html
Here are some great examples of dithering
- http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixelart/5745.htm
- http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixelart/12082.htm
(If you look closely and zoom in you can see that dithering is used really effectively, just a little here and there, in this last piece)
- http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixelart/21313.htm

Offline Miya

• View Profile
    • Gallery

Reply #13 on: August 23, 2007, 05:04:23 am
ah thanks Obsidantion :) ive been doing that before but didnt know it had a name heh

anyway heres an update;

i changed the lineart, it might still be kinda dark tho, added the dithering stuff and added a new house trying to get those things right right away lol
also put the contrast of the grass tiles down a bit

Offline xavier_viiv

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: August 23, 2007, 07:25:46 am

edit--original

just think that the shadow is not enough--roof-->.,<....i like it so much...the style is so cute...
so when i made an edit of it--just the new house--..i think u have right to see it^^..

and i agree with helm...about the grass,it doesn`t need highlight...but that`s just what i think^^...

hope you like it^^
o_O

GBU
 max514

Offline Orclaeder

• Hi there ^^
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: August 23, 2007, 07:44:20 pm
I realy like this work, its so .. ^_^!!!! :-*

Im doing some copy and pasting with what you got .. if i remember what i posted here ill post when its finished  :D
Signature.

Offline Miya

• View Profile
    • Gallery

Reply #16 on: August 25, 2007, 07:46:17 pm
this thing is kinda expanding a little too fast Dx

i got 2 more houses done in linearts, maybe ill finish them tomorrow and add them in *loves gamemaker* x3

Offline Stefano

• 10 different types of soup
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART profile

Reply #17 on: August 25, 2007, 11:16:03 pm
This is really cute in action. Perphas you need less prominence in the colors of the ground to separate the levels, like this:

It's growing fast and well! Your mockup is really pleasant to look at. My only concern and tip to help you improve your piece is the same already pointed out by Helm.
Since the ground covers roughly 70% percent of the screen, I think it's a good idea to drop down the contrast even more to make it less noticeable and more distant from the player than houses and trees. I see you've decreased saturation and I think it has improved the overall aspect.

-Stefano

Offline BlueCheer

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: August 26, 2007, 06:29:11 am
i really think it looks but and I'm not trying to criticize but why are the houses all the same color ive never seen a house that color before. Well thats just me any way i saw at the begging of starting it and now and its looking good.

Offline Mim

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: August 26, 2007, 02:44:25 pm
when you're placing the trees, dont snap them to the grid so they're not in straight lines like the 6 in the top left corner
i cant remember if you can turn the grid off with gamemaker but you can re-size it to a 1 pixel one lol

i have to agree with turning the contrast on the grass down, it looks good, but if the player is seeing it all the time when they're playing itll get annoying after a while

awesome progress though, really like it