AuthorTopic: [WIP] Pixel House  (Read 9934 times)

Offline Miya

• View Profile
    • Gallery

[WIP] Pixel House

on: August 21, 2007, 05:34:58 pm
im pretty new to pixeling and this forum too so hi :)

i was messing with pixeling for a while and its really fun, but i dont feel like im advancing much so i appreciate any critiques you can give me on my little house
the shading just seems kinda... dull to me but im not sure how to change it and make it look a little more 'alive'

i wanna make a background for this too with tiles and stuff but so far couldnt come up with anything id be satisfied yet but ill get there i hope lol
and i was wondering is there a specific size i should consider for tiles? any tips on that topic is appreciated too while im trying to find some tutorials on that matter

Offline Mim

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Pixel House

Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 05:57:42 pm
Wow, i really like it.

If you'd like to spice up the shading a bit more, try shifting the hue so that your shadows become a different colour, it's fun to experiment with that. On the circular roof, it seems to flat, the tiles on it need to start curving sooner if you ask me, but your window below that curves too soon, try to find a happy medium. Also, the spire at the top needs to look more cylindrical, as do the grey bits on the roof. The grey on the underneith of the right rectangular side of the house needs to come out more at the end.

Here's an edit addressing the spire, grey lining on the right and the window:

The spire looks really bad on mine but i hope it brings accross what i mean.

Offline Miya

• View Profile
    • Gallery

Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 06:55:44 pm
thanks a lot Mim, that was very helpful :)

heres my edit so far;

i tried the shading in diffrent color now and tried to make it a little more detailed/smoother but now it kinda looks a little too pink to me lol.. maybe ill try that again in a diffrent color tomorrow
also edited the spire and added one of those wind direction things
i tried to get the roof tiles more round and shaded better but not sure if im happy with it yet
oh yea and aligned the window some more, tried not to copy you directly there but in the end only the shading is a little diffrent on the fram i guess, sorry xD;

any more input welcome of course!

Offline yueprofile

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 09:01:55 pm
 :y: i like it

Offline KAT

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 09:37:12 pm
Nice ;) I like it too ;)

Offline BG

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 01:10:56 am
Cute house. I think it looks great :)
The roof could need some more work to make it look round though.

when it comes to tiles, I'd say 8x8 pixels would be best if you wanna add lots of details. If not, go with 16x16. Tilesize in old games are always dividable by 8.

Offline Zee

• I wish I could have an avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 01:22:19 am
That's an astounding amount of character in such a little piece.

One point of crit though, is that the gray stone bottom doesn't seem to go around the whole thing, it looks like it just is around the front edge.

Offline xavier_viiv

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 04:36:45 am

i like this^^..that`s why i try to see this thing done...as for me,i just change out the dark lines at part where the light hit...well...but this just me,cos the style is changing of course...>.,<...and i try to put some shadow below the chair--i think--and make the roof rounder--the right part--but of course,it still a mess^^

hope you like it..
o_O

GBU
 max514

Offline Miya

• View Profile
    • Gallery

Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 05:25:30 am
thanks guys :)

xavier ill definatly try it out with the lighter lines and see how it works out for me, it really looks nice on your edit :)
but i think im done with the damn roof, getting a little sick of it i guess lol, maybe ill try again some other time on a bigger house heh

anyway ive been working on those tiles but they still look kinda boring to me;

and i was wondering, is there a way to easily put a bunch of tiles together? im only using photoshop and i would just copy the tiles a billion times and put them together but i doubt thats the right way to do it lol

Offline Obsidantion

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: August 22, 2007, 02:28:45 pm
I hope you don't mind me making a mockup of your work, I just couldn't resist:

This animation shows the difference between the dark and lighter outlines, as talked about in this thread, in a mockup.
I added dithering to the house in one of the frames because it's an interesting way to shade and it gives a nice brick texture.
(I'm not sure if the rocks are better I just wanted to neaten them up)

If your into making games, download Game Maker. It gives you the ability to quickly arrange mockups out of your own sprites to see how they look in conjunction with each other, and it makes games out of them as well of course :).

Great work so far! I hope you continue to expand this little world it would be very nice as an rpg.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 03:51:37 pm by Obsidantion »