AuthorTopic: My Mobile Mockup  (Read 3993 times)

Offline elise

• View Profile

My Mobile Mockup

on: August 21, 2007, 05:18:29 pm
Alrighty... so remember that game Chips Challenge? Back in the day that was one of the only games we had on our pc so I played it A LOT and grew to love it. I decided to make an homage to that game for my first mockup frenzy try. But instead of a little guy running around collecting chips to get the next level, I have a little panda collecting keys to escape from the zoo. It just made sense when I was trying to think of a one button game I would actually want to play. Up, down, left, right. Don't have to press anything else. Simple tiles. Simple sprites. Not much animation (well, actually none yet, ha).

What do yall think so far?

I still have to make the keys, some obstacles like fire, water, rocks, etc. and some pathbound and non-pathbound villains.

Offline eobet

• View Profile
    • eobet disajn

Re: My Mobile Mockup

Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 05:26:53 pm
I love'd chip's challenge, and I think this theme is brilliant!

The panda itself looks slightly scary, though. I think it is the proportions and the eye position. It's not super-deformed, or compact and cuddly, and it hasn't got puppy eyes... I don't know... something about it makes me feel uneasy. Like one of those Japanese teddy bears which have blood and claws when you look closely.

There is an open source clone out there somewhere, though with terrible graphics... but perhaps you can borrow it's levels database? Just a thought.

Oh, and if you do create this, please consider an OS X port? Pretty please?  ;D

EDIT: Snap, I just noticed "mobile"... ok, I have a J2ME phone, so I'm game (though it's 320x240 actually).

Offline elise

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 06:49:16 pm
Thanks for the feedback.  :) I changed the panda... hopefully it looks a bit less scary now. ;)  Added the key and tried to improve the bush, too.

Still trying to think of villains. ???

EDIT: I editted it again... changed the panda again and added a monkey! He's not a villain, just another character choice. Oh, and now there's water you can't step in... which will seem more threatening when I have an actual bad guy somewhere in there.

AND AGAIN: I tried to make some lions as bad guys... Good gracious, it's hard working so small.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 08:36:01 pm by elise »

Offline BG

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 01:26:08 am
aww... I think the first panda was cute... :( But I also think Gloomy is cute (the above mentioned teddy bear with claws and blood) The current version looks more panda-ish, though, so stick with it. :)

The lions don't look so dangerous. You think it's possible to make them look more angry or something? Then again, it's common knowledge that lions are dangerous... :P Guess it doesn't matter that much, then.

Offline elise

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 05:51:36 am
Hopefully these lions look a bit more mean... ;) Added more obstacles and an extra life.

Offline eobet

• View Profile
    • eobet disajn

Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 06:49:15 pm
To continue my feedback... I don't know if people will confuse the monkey with the lion since they do look kinda similar, but I'd guess that people might think that the monkey and lion are on the same sides, since they share the same color.

How about replacing the lion with either a tiger (essentially a walking warning sign with the stripes... heck, a bee/wasp would do) or a panther (though people might confuse that with a black cat, since the tiles are all the same size)?

This feels a bit like adventures of lolo now as well, come to think of it. Wasn't that similar to chip's challenge?