AuthorTopic: Poppin Portrait  (Read 10395 times)

Offline Jericho

• View Profile
    • AppleLoaf Valley

Poppin Portrait

on: August 20, 2007, 11:50:57 pm
Ah, well taking a break from This I doodled out a portrait of my mockup's main character and decided to pixel it.

I've had some issues with her right eye x_o. I hate 3/4 faces. I'm also not used of anime eyes but i thought they'd suit the style.

Any tips/suggestions?
If you spot any redundant colours, let me know.

((note: she's holding a pill haha))
Alice is dead. We cut off her head.

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • pixeljoint.com/p/327.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Poppin Portrait

Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 12:21:08 am
The mouth and jawline really bother me. I understand she's supposed to be smirking, but it just looks strange to me that her mouth is facing straight at the viewer and it perfectly level when the rest of her is facing a different direction and her head is tilted. I think the mouth could follow the direction of the rest of her face more.

And I can't really tell what's wrong with the jawline to me. Maybe it's too shallow of an angle or could merge to the ear a bit smoother, I don't know.

Offline Phlox

• huh??? what???
    • View Profile
    • Can Games

Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 12:22:51 am
I did a very quick edit

edit:                                       Yours:

What I fixed:

1: your eyes where misplaced one was very high the other normal

2:the pink dots were not quite in the right place either

3: the mouth was in a different perspective than the whole face (the mouth was at a straight on view)

There is still something wrong with her ear placement and her jaw that i didn't fix

Hope this helps.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 12:38:55 am by Phlox »

Offline Jericho

• View Profile
    • AppleLoaf Valley

Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 12:45:50 am
The mouth and jawline really bother me. I understand she's supposed to be smirking, but it just looks strange to me that her mouth is facing straight at the viewer and it perfectly level when the rest of her is facing a different direction and her head is tilted. I think the mouth could follow the direction of the rest of her face more.

And I can't really tell what's wrong with the jawline to me. Maybe it's too shallow of an angle or could merge to the ear a bit smoother, I don't know.

I'll take another shot at the mouth. I'm not sure what to do about the jawline though haha

-----------------------

I did a very quick edit

edit:                                       Yours:

What I fixed:

1: your eyes where misplaced one was very high the other normal

2:the pink dots were not quite in the right place either

3: the mouth was in a different perspective than the whole face (the mouth was at a straight on view)

Hope this helps.

hm..haha..phlox her head is at an angle. You're not seeing it directly from the side. if you were why would you see her part (hair) ? Here's a shitty difference example, but hopefully it gets the idea across lol

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 01:01:49 am
Great hand you drew. I'd move the ear up little. Make the neck curving back out at the bottom back bit.
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline Phlox

• huh??? what???
    • View Profile
    • Can Games

Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 01:21:42 am
 ??? Oh... I see sorry about that i guess it is at an angle :lol:

but i still think her mouth is in the wrong perspective. Sorry about that.

Offline Jericho

• View Profile
    • AppleLoaf Valley

Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 01:47:32 am
I played around with the jawline, mouth, and neck. I'm unsure which neck to go with though haha

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 02:18:52 am

Still plenty wrong with this edit, but I hope it points you in the right direction.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 02:21:07 am by Faceless »

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007, 02:27:09 am

Hm, I think my edit is a bit clumsy since I'm not used to work with eyes that big. I moved the nose to make a bit more room for her right eye, which wraps around the edge of her face in a strange way. Same for the rose in that cheek. You wouldn't be able to see her right ear from that angle, and I moved the other ear up a bit. I also shrunk the head quite a bit. If you don't want to do that, you might want to move the eyes up and give her a longer nose to match the  shape of her head. I gave her a bit more of a chin, but I see you've taken it in the other direction. :)

Offline Jericho

• View Profile
    • AppleLoaf Valley

Reply #9 on: August 21, 2007, 06:02:19 am

Hm, I think my edit is a bit clumsy since I'm not used to work with eyes that big. I moved the nose to make a bit more room for her right eye, which wraps around the edge of her face in a strange way. Same for the rose in that cheek. You wouldn't be able to see her right ear from that angle, and I moved the other ear up a bit. I also shrunk the head quite a bit. If you don't want to do that, you might want to move the eyes up and give her a longer nose to match the  shape of her head. I gave her a bit more of a chin, but I see you've taken it in the other direction. :)

haha the ear that should be hidden is there purely for aesthetic reasons on my part xD. I know it wouldnt actually be seen but I guess i just like it there haha. I've removed it and it doesnt look right to me that way either LOL. The head size I agree on to a point. Most of the size up above is due to simple hair volume rather than skull size, however her face is too tall.

Still plenty wrong with this edit, but I hope it points you in the right direction.

thanks for the edit! a deffinite help, especially with her friggin right eye. I can never get that perspective to look right.

Anyways I've edited her jawline again so its not at such an angle, moved the ear some and fixed its perspective, and redrew those (as i now see) FUNKY fukny eyes lmao