AuthorTopic: Rpg tile graphics  (Read 11964 times)

Offline Danik

• View Profile

Re: Rpg tile graphics

Reply #20 on: September 02, 2007, 09:14:42 pm
Progress is really slow on this, but Im learning a lot when doing it, trying to do it right.

I think I will leave the Vegetation thread and just put all the work of this project in this thread instead. And so here are the latest work on the grass/vegetation/nature tiles:

Crits on the rock are appreciated, is it a bit contrast less? How does the blue light work? Too bright?

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Reply #21 on: September 02, 2007, 10:39:40 pm
Well, the blue is much too bright. Leaves aren't that reflective, so I suggest getting rid of it and bringing the darkest greens a bit closer to a desaturated blue instead.

The grass needs more contrast. The grass is made of the same material as the bush, isn't it? Since it's the same color, it should cast the same shadows and have the same highlights. That should make the lawn darker than it is now with more defined blades of grass.

I say lawn because it seems very sterile. The bush is neatly trimmed, the grass all the same short height, and that makes the rocks look misplaced since if someone is tending to it, they wouldn't just leave the rocks there. Either place them closer to the edge of the road or make the grass varying heights with some flowers thrown in at random to make it seem unkempt. Objects like the signpost would be surrounded by taller grass anyway as it's difficult to cut the grass around them.

The rocks also need a bit more contrast. :)

Offline Danik

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: September 03, 2007, 11:59:31 am
I tried having the same highlight color on the grass as on the bush, but it looked really awful. (maybe Im not doing it right though)

Yes, I tried having higher grass under the sign, but the problem is the grass is to busy so when i try to pixel high grass around the sign for instance it's swallowed by the texture in the grass. I can't seem to solve this. Same thing with the grass around the rocks.

Maybe I will have to redo the grass, it's just too noisy. I find it very hard to pixel grass when a single straw is at most a few millimeters and the relative size of a pixel is closer to a cm.

I see what you'r saying about the lawn, and I agree it's unnatural, but most rpgs have tiles with short grass like this, but I will make some variation tiles with higher grass and flowers etc.

Thanks for the crits, I appreciate them much!

BTW. In promotion, is there a quick way to change a color of a sprite into another one, without changing that color in the palette. Instead making a copy of that palette color leaving other tiles using it unchanged? Or do you need to make the new color, then redraw every pixel on the sprite?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 12:02:24 pm by Danik »

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Reply #23 on: September 03, 2007, 05:14:25 pm
Something like this was what I had in mind. :)

Offline Danik

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: September 03, 2007, 05:27:15 pm
That's beautiful.  :y:
I will study that piece and try again!