AuthorTopic: Tile editor -- Any ideas?  (Read 3487 times)

Offline Xander

• View Profile

Tile editor -- Any ideas?

on: August 17, 2007, 09:33:20 pm
Hi everyone,

This is my first post. I've been viewing the board for a few days, and I'm really excited about posting some of my work.

I'm a programmer by profession, and I'm planning on making a small rpg in either java or flash with pixel-style art. It's not going to be an mmorpg, but the style of game-play will be mmorpg based (free roaming with quest attained from npcs, professions, etc).

Anyways, I'm looking for a tile map editor. Not an actual graphics editor, but a map editor that will let you build levels. I'm looking for one that preferably outputs an XML or some other format that's easy to parse. Do you have any recommendations? If I have to program one myself, I will. But I'd rather not reinvent the wheel.

Thank you.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Re: Tile editor -- Any ideas?

Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 09:36:39 pm
I suggest just typing yourself out xml and then loading your build to see a rend of it, saves time and coding.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 06:32:45 am
This one is pretty common, can't give a personal recommend as I've not yet tried it myself:  http://www.tilemap.co.uk/mappy.php

good luck!

Offline Xander

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 18, 2007, 10:12:03 pm
This one is pretty common, can't give a personal recommend as I've not yet tried it myself:  http://www.tilemap.co.uk/mappy.php

good luck!

This is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks.

I actually ran into this site earlier using google. But the design threw me off and I decided not to download it. Big mistake.

Offline Alevice

• View Profile
    • DevArt gallery

Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 09:32:59 pm
All my pixeling and tiling needs are covered by Tile Studio