AuthorTopic: Help me with bg!  (Read 3598 times)

Offline XaMMaX

• View Profile

Help me with bg!

on: August 17, 2007, 07:18:25 pm
I need to make background "in tower".
Better then that:

I made this:

But it sucks =( I really need some help!

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Re: Help me with bg!

Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 06:11:53 am
if we speak of a castle-like tower, which your current background gives me the diea of, you should make it look round. That means that the bricks on the side should be shorter (more angled) than the bricks on the back. Next to that the bricks on the side could be larger, and the bricks in the back could be more vague. Of course these are simply suggestions.
Next to that it kinda looks like you shaded 1 brick and then repeated it with a few size adjustments and cracks. You must think about the whole things, not the single blocks.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 06:40:33 am by AdamAtomic »

Offline xavier_viiv

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 07:11:24 am
you can play castlevania SOTN and learn from there^^..

quick edit though...to show the form n colours..
hope you like it...>.,<

o_O

GBU
 max514

Offline Danik

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 09:43:34 am
I think its wrapping the wrong way, I just offsetted it horizontally by 61 px:

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 10:06:53 am
when you say "in tower", i guess you mean "i don't need something that repeats horizontally, i will have vertical-only scrolling, but i need something that gives the player the feeling that he's watching the inner of a round tower", right ?

hence your attempt at having bricks larger in the middle of your BG than on the border, which is a step in the good direction...
Now, what you still lack is curving of the horizontals. all will depend on the perspective for the rest of your scene, but a simple solution would be to bend horizontal as parallel arcs (as done in the castlevania example), despite 3D perspective would like to show straight line in the middle and increase curving as we depart from the horizon line (which will scroll very poorly :P)

btw, it seems to me that you have just stretched the middle of an otherwise flat wall, right. That gives large, suspicious shadows on the middle bricks. You might prefer to edit this so that your bricks all have the same amount of shadow. You might also consider that light isn't uniform on your whole wall but rather

Offline Danik

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 12:35:52 pm
No the original poster didn't post the last edited image, I did. :)

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 03:07:28 pm
I made a quick example of how I would handle this.

since you haven't opted for a tilted angle such as xaviers example, you'll need to heavily rely on using dark colours to create the illusion of depth for this.
in my example, I made the bricks get progressively darker as they extended back, I also made the lines separating them get thicker to give the impression that the bricks have gotten smaller.
I probably shouldn't've made the lighting symmetrical.. :P

and I also defined which bricks are "walls" by giving them harsh highlighted edges.
I think this already works pretty well, and would work even better with some platforms and other details in the tower
Life without knowledge is death in disguise