AuthorTopic: Official NyanNyanKoneko Campaign Thread  (Read 9939 times)

Offline flaber

• Captain.
    • View Profile

Re: Official NyanNyanKoneko Campaign Thread

Reply #10 on: November 13, 2005, 06:47:58 am
People will vote for me for what I represent and what I believe in, not what's in or outside my scope to control.

you really havent stated very well what you represent. im still left wondering.
in your first post you stated all these ideas you had, we commented, then you said you realize you cant do much of that.
Then you really didnt restate what you wanted to do.
perhaps i missread, perhaps im wrong. I doubt it though, because iv read this thoroughly.
please rewrite your ambitions in a clear way, that will leave no questio as to what you stand for.

Offline NyanNyanKoneko

• View Profile
    • Playing With Yarn

Reply #11 on: November 13, 2005, 09:47:21 am
please rewrite your ambitions
I'm glad you asked me to do this!  My first post was an introduction to who I am and what I believe, and the qualities that separate me from the other canidates.  I avoided specific policy issues since I know we all say similar things, and I don't want people to vote for me without knowing first and foremost what I believe in and who I am.

What I would do as Daijin.

Work With the Community to Set Up Fun Activities. 
I stress "work with the community" because the activities we choose has to be fun for everyone.  I'm interested in asking, "What do you want to do?" as opposed to telling everyone what I want to do. 

Now the second part of that statement mentioned fun activities.  These are activities that promote an encouraging and constructive atmosphere for everyone on the board.  I want to minimize competition and maximize cooperation.  To do this, I suggest the following...

A) Activities that stress creativity over skill.
B) Make it clear there are only winners, and by participating we all learn something.
C) Use these activities as a way to improve our skills.

Since we want to encourage new members to come to this board, I will be dedicated to doing the following.

D) Setting up activities that only require a basic knowlege of pixeling.
E) Setting a good example by welcoming and supporting new posters.
F) Doing what I can to minimize the hastle of uploading new art by offering advice, webspace, and information.

However, most of all, as Daijin, I would do very little other than be outgoing, kind, and drama-free while trying to make sure we are all enjoying ourselves through drawing activities.  Now of course, I do the first part as a regular poster already.

What Specific Activities Do I Suggest?
I'm for gauging what kind of activities we should do based on the attitude of the board at the time and everyone's comments, however, here's what I would reccomend based on my beliefs mentioned above.

A) Tips & Tricks - In this activity, everyone shares a tip or trick they have learned from pixeling, and one or two pixel art pieces to demonstrate it.
B) Be Creative! Contest - In this contest, I give everyone a vague topic to pixel about.  A good topic may be, "Green" or "Famous," and the most creative content wins.
C) Tutorial Contest - In this contest, the goal is to write the best tutorial on a single subject.  At the end we vote on our favorite tutorial.  This is slightly different than "tips & tricks" in that we expect a full tutorial from start to finish with many pieces of art to demonstrate the progress. 
D) Let's Game! - As mentioned before, I'm a programmer.  I can make a shell of video game, and the goal of this contest would be to see who can come up with the most creative art to fill in the pieces of the game.  For example, I make a simple space shooter, and all the sprites are colored boxes, as well as the title.  So the artists fill in the art, give the game a title, add whatever music they want, adjust some settings like speed, and upload their final work to some space on my server.

I can't repeat this enough though, the best activities are the ones that bring us together and we all want to do, so I'm more interested in hearing your ideas than promoting my own.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2005, 09:56:52 am by NyanNyanKoneko »

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #12 on: November 13, 2005, 06:18:29 pm
All this talk about how you will create games and we add art in and it gets stored on your server really doesn't please me. This board is still mainly about pixel art, and it's not like there aren't tons of programmers on these forums, so why would we find YOU to be the candidate to programs for us?

It's cool to have a programmer do some stuff for the community, but then we need a position for that, I'm wondering what your programming skills help with when coming up when something as complex as a forum activity that contains elements to improve certain artistic techniques.

Another question, can you please explain to us which artistic background you are putting behind this? I'm not saying the best artist needs to be voted for, but I would have a little troubles with a Daijin that doesn't know the jist off delicate subjects such as sel-out, aa, pattern dithering, hue control and pallette limitation.

Offline NyanNyanKoneko

• View Profile
    • Playing With Yarn

Reply #13 on: November 13, 2005, 11:22:41 pm
So why would we find YOU to be the candidate to programs for us?

As far as I can see, I'm the only canidate who programs.  This is one of my skillsets that sets me apart from the other canidates. 

I'm not saying the best artist needs to be voted for

I'm glad you said that.  I think so too. 

Now, I'm the first to admit that I'm not the best artist on this forum, far from it.  I came to this forum to improve my artistic ability.

As such, I pixel every single day.

In fact, currently I'm pixeling an RPG tile / sprite set at the moment for practice. 

Although I have far from mastered all the skills you mentioned above, I certainly know what they are, and the basics for how they work.

Sel-out, more commonly known as selout or selective outlineing is the process by which the outline of a sprite is smoothed out by using chunks of color instead of a single outlined color.

AA - Antialiasing.  The process by which the edges of sprites are colored to better blend with the background.

Pattern Dithering - Dithering uses a small pixel "checkerboard"-ish pattern to give the illusion of a change in color using a limited pallete.

Hue Control - You mean adjusting the shade or tint of colors. 

Pallette Limitation - Choosing only a select number of colors from which to pixel with usually consisting of a few base colors and some hues to add shading. 

I appreciate your concerns on the matter.  However, I do pixel, in fact quite often.  Now, I may not be the best pixeler as I can barely draw stick figures and circles on paper.  However, I work hard at what I do every day, just as I will work hard as daijin.  I've said time and time again, I'm going to listen to the other artists on the forum first and foremost.

EDIT
Gil, if you want to call for a debate, then I call you to it, and we'll set up a time, place, and perhaps even moderator.

You have every right to post in my thread, and I encourage your posting, but since I doubt you have any questions as to who you are going to vote for, I want us to play nice and let the people choose who they want as daijin with a minimal amount of drama.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2005, 11:44:01 pm by NyanNyanKoneko »

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: November 13, 2005, 11:37:03 pm
Another question, can you please explain to us which artistic background you are putting behind this? I'm not saying the best artist needs to be voted for, but I would have a little troubles with a Daijin that doesn't know the jist off delicate subjects such as sel-out, aa, pattern dithering, hue control and pallette limitation.

If you are going to ask this, then I hope you plan to propose it to every candidate. It would not be fair to NNK if he were the only one to have to do so.

While I am inclined to agree that artistic background is certainly important if one is going to be proposing challenges and activities, skills in other areas can be a great contribution to the board. Take that fighter portraiit flash movie Scuba Steve posted a little while ago. If not for him taking the time to put that together, I and other newish members would not have known or seen the contributions to that challenge. Having practiced in something as tedious as programming should also make NNK an ideal candidate for doing boring organisational tasks.. j/k

EDIT:
Gil, if you want to call for a debate, then I call you to it, and we'll set up a time, place, and perhaps even moderator.

You have every right to post in my thread, and I encourage your posting, but since I doubt you have any questions as to who you are going to vote for, I want us to play nice and let the people choose who they want as daijin with a minimal amount of drama.
Just want to add that even if Gil doesn't have any questions as to who he's voting for, I like seeing the candidates taking an active interest in this. Afterall, if the people running aren't going to take an interest in going over the other candidates campaigns, then why would the other members of Pixelopolis feel compelled to? I'm happy to see the elections gettings off to such a strong start, even if it is primarily you NNK who's been getting the most attention so far. I'm sure that having the most active and interesting campaign thread will prove to be valuable for you when it come time to vote. Something about how all press is good press or something like that comes to mind.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2005, 12:49:53 am by crab2selout.png »

Offline NyanNyanKoneko

• View Profile
    • Playing With Yarn

Reply #15 on: November 13, 2005, 11:46:00 pm
Crab, you're awesome.   ;D

I hope you win...  along side me, of course.    :)

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #16 on: November 14, 2005, 02:15:44 am
As far as I can see, I'm the only canidate who programs.  This is one of my skillsets that sets me apart from the other canidates. 

You're not the only candidate who programs, that's a very bold statement, I'd check your sources ;)

EDIT: I like the debate idea :). I'll send you a pm about it soon.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2005, 02:22:50 am by Gil »

Offline Dogmeat

• YOKOYAMA
    • View Profile
    • Mindcrank

Reply #17 on: November 14, 2005, 03:16:06 pm
NyanNyan, you come off as a loose cannon, are you trying to portray this persona to possible supporters?

P.S. not a good thing
Daisuke Nagano Yokoyama

Offline NyanNyanKoneko

• View Profile
    • Playing With Yarn

Reply #18 on: November 14, 2005, 09:00:50 pm
NyanNyan, you come off as a loose cannon, are you trying to portray this persona to possible supporters?

Nope.

I'm campaigning hard, and making a strong argument for myself. 

For example, I put parts of my text in bold print to allow voters to skim over what I write while still being able to get the gist of my campaign.  Furthermore, I'm trying to answer any and all questions as completely, and concisely as I can.  When I speak bluntly and put sentences in bold, I'm implementing a formal writing style.  I appreciate your concern, however I am enjoying my campaign and responding to the various posts.

Honestly though, I've kept a good attutude throughout this race, and really hope everyone does well.   ;D

Thanks for your concern; I hope you'll vote for me. 
« Last Edit: November 14, 2005, 09:09:07 pm by NyanNyanKoneko »