AuthorTopic: Official NyanNyanKoneko Campaign Thread  (Read 9943 times)

Offline NyanNyanKoneko

• View Profile
    • Playing With Yarn

Official NyanNyanKoneko Campaign Thread

on: November 11, 2005, 11:20:38 pm
Why Vote for NyanNyanKoneko?

A) No Drama!
I believe in free speech, but drama doesn't help anyone.  I promise to do all I can to minimize drama the amount of drama on the board while maintaining Pixelopolis's high level of intellectual exchange.

B) Minimal Interference!
You have a right to free speech!  It's not the governing body's place to dictate what you can and can not say, nor should it edit posts unless absolutely necessary.

C) Encouragement!
I believe we should encourage new people to post here by creating a welcoming environment and plenty of opportunities to draw.

D) Capability!
As a programmer, I have the skills and dedication to maintain and add to the software of this board. 

About NyanNyanKoneko
I'm a 25 year old programmer from California.  I currently attend UC Riverside where I major in English.  I enjoy writing video games, drawing pixel art, and composing music.  Outside of computers, I enjoy reading, flying (I fly a Cessna 150), and outdoor sports.  I have served as a moderator on several other boards and IRC channels. 

Pixelopolis is one of the most important board on the Internet and on the the cutting edge of the modern artistic movement.  I feel we should all treat Pixelopolis as the important website it already is, and not just another chatting forum.

What are some of NyanNyanKoneko's ideas for improving Pixelopolis?
I would encourage the creation of online tools to make the exchange of pixel art even easier.  For example, we could come up with a cooperative pixeling java applet, so two people can easily edit a single image without sending it back and forth.

Often newbies don't know where they can upload their pixel art.  By either enabling uploads on the forum, or by designing an upload site on another sever, we can make the process of uploading our art even easier.

Of course, anything we add has to have the approval of all the artists on Pixelopolis.  So, before making any changes to the board, I would suggest holding a vote, open to all members of Pixelopolis.

Please feel free to ask additional questions below.

I appreciate your support in the upcoming election.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2005, 04:30:19 am by NyanNyanKoneko »

Offline NyanNyanKoneko

• View Profile
    • Playing With Yarn

Re: Official NyanNyanKoneko Campaign Thread

Reply #1 on: November 11, 2005, 11:24:21 pm
If you want to chat or share your ideas with me personally, here's my contact info.

Yahoo: handka2
E-mail: kathandels@sbcglobal.net

Offline Dogmeat

• YOKOYAMA
    • View Profile
    • Mindcrank

Reply #2 on: November 12, 2005, 04:21:07 pm
firstly, don't take this as a personal attack, I know how you like drama...

But I hope you don't honestly believe this is a moderator position, all we do is spend a lot of time coming up with creative ideas to challenge and grow the community. It's alot of thinking and writing, not a lot of programming and domination over the forum software.

And whats with all this thing about free speech and no drama, do you have some angst about something, did a moderator wrong you and you're out for revenge?

I'm sorry, but you're political spiel is really coming off to me with evil intentions.

Instead of talking about how you're the best programmer in the universe and how you're going to revolutionize the forum with mindbusting software that will make it so we can pixel using telekenesis could you describe to the community, what kind of ideas you have on activities, challenges, critique, etc.. that you plan to work on while you're in office?

Word up to the 909 by the way, didn't know you lived in the valley of the dirt people ;) all you so-callers out there know what I"m sayin, uh huh, uh huh.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2005, 04:23:36 pm by Dogmeat »
Daisuke Nagano Yokoyama

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #3 on: November 12, 2005, 05:25:29 pm
I have to second Dogmeat here. Pixelopolis is still about pixeling, and Pixelation has a long past of making things easy instead of complicated. These ideas remind me more of an oekaki board than a liberal pixelation board...

I agree on the minimum interference though. Pep will like it too :)

Offline flaber

• Captain.
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 12, 2005, 08:21:17 pm
I am fond of the idea of the upload feature to the site but...
you only haev a few months to do all these projects in that you have listed. However, the whole change to the board doesnt interest me. It works fine as is right now, everones happy, why change?

you want to reduce drama by not interefering on anything?? those kind of counter each other. But first lets take a look at our situation. There really has NOT been any true drama in here, comparitivly to the past, which means everyone is generally fine as to whats happening. People have been kicked out, people have made huge deals and such, yet now all old members have returned and the forum is generally happy. You also do not want to interfere on anything. Interference can be a good thing. You can catch a comment that may start something and delete it before it gets out of hand. If someone posts a useless 1 liner or a bump, you can get rid of those. Its not always a bad thing to do that. But at the moment there is no real need for that, so I dont see why you even brought it up. We arn't swamped with new people posting their 4min work and 30second crits. We arnt having wars between people at the moment.

lastly, we arnt being promoted to moderator. We are just Daijin. In comparison to those with power we really dont do too much. We are to help with forum etiquette, we are to come up with challenges, we are to come up with learning activites. We are not put into this position to make dramatic changes. We are there to fill in the cracks between the public and admin. We can be spokespersons for issues brought up by other members, but we may not be the ones to have the power to change it.
So just keep in mind, this position does not have revolutionary capabilities, but rather to help give a nice friendly fun face to the forum.

Offline NyanNyanKoneko

• View Profile
    • Playing With Yarn

Reply #5 on: November 12, 2005, 11:21:08 pm
You're right!   Of course this isn't a moderator position.

Remember that a daijin is supposed to, "govern over forum etiquette matters."  I stated my views on the subject clearly above.   I want to focus on minimal drama, and free speech.  Also, I wanted to make my intentions clear that I want to help this board and the people on it.  Part of my platform is that my only objective is that I want to help, not rule, not be popular, and not even set up a nuclear launch site through a money laundering scheme.

My ultimate goal is to promote an encouraging atmosphere.

EDIT:
What kind of ideas you have on activities, challenges, critique, etc.. that you plan to work on while you're in office?

As for critiques, our current system of letting everyone post and get critiques currently works just fine, and I wouldn't want to change that.

As for activities and challenges, as mentioned before, I would like to set up activies that encourage new members to participate.  Most of the current activites and challenges focus on being the best.  I think, when we pixel, we are all winners.  Therefore, I would encourage "pixel for fun!" activities that focus on imagination as opposed to raw skill. 

For example, we could set up an activity in which I give a basic outline or theme, and the participants only goals are to be original in their work.  The most creative pixel wins. 

But lets face it, the activities will be largely based on the conscenscious of the board at the time.  It's better to gauge the situation in the future and come out with specific plans based on the most relevant data available instead of giving X, Y, and Z which people may like now, but may not like 3 weeks from now.

I want to make sure everyone can and is enjoying this board.  I'm open to all ideas.

You're the best programmer in the universe and... you're going to revolutionize the forum with mindbusting software that will make it so we can pixel using telekenesis.
Thank you.  I think so too.  I hope to gain your support.

making things easy instead of complicated.
I'm all about trying to make things easier as opposed to more complicated.   That's why I want to make it easy for people to upload their work.  I also want to make it easier to do colabs.  Most likely, such changes would have to take place on another server, obviously.  But like I said, if the artists think its not worth the time or effort, I will listen to you 100%.

this position does not have revolutionary capabilities, but rather to help give a nice friendly fun face to the forum.
I want to do what I can to help this community.

EDIT 2:
I've been thinking about who I would choose as daiyo, and there are a couple of people I would choose.

Number 1 would be Dogmeat.  He comes across to me as someone with a lot of ambition and thought.  He's someone I would trust to tell me the truth, and to work along side me.

Number 2 would be Evan.  Evan is someone I've known for a long time, and I trust his opinion to gauge what would be most fun for this board. 

Another person I've seen on the board and admire a lot is Indigo.  I really like his laid back attitude, but he's not afraid of work either.  He comes across to me as someone with a lot of tallent, not only in pixeling, but in many areas of his life.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2005, 12:15:15 am by NyanNyanKoneko »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #6 on: November 13, 2005, 01:47:45 am
What does or doesn't get edited is up to moderators. This doesn't mean they'll act like horrible beasts (well, besides me), but really, free speech or lack thereof have nothing to do with these elections. In fact, 'free speech' is a term that's completely redundant in the confines of an proactively moderated forum such as this. Posting is a priviledge, not a right, and to have that priviledge, people forfeit aspects of their free speech at the door. For example, given free speech you could go severily OT in a topic, or you could call people names. These aren't tolerated. Drama aside, free speech is simply not a debatable issue here. If you're using this as a platform to get people to vote for you because they like the idea of more freedom of what to post, I'm sorry to burst bubbles. Just a few clarifications, of the official kind.

Offline NyanNyanKoneko

• View Profile
    • Playing With Yarn

Reply #7 on: November 13, 2005, 02:11:19 am
People will vote for me for what I represent and what I believe in, not what's in or outside my scope to control.   :)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2005, 02:18:38 am by NyanNyanKoneko »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #8 on: November 13, 2005, 05:28:39 am
That statement makes no sense, but okay, good luck.

Offline NyanNyanKoneko

• View Profile
    • Playing With Yarn

Reply #9 on: November 13, 2005, 05:39:15 am
Helm, does this mean that I can expect your support in the upcoming election?   :)

BTW: PM me if you're still curious and I'll explain what I meant above in further detail.