AuthorTopic: Eh...Self that is not assured to look like me..  (Read 3028 times)

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

Eh...Self that is not assured to look like me..

on: August 16, 2007, 01:40:52 pm
      Right, well I'm not sure if this is worth posting, seeing as I am not convinced I have captured my likeness very well. But, this was an experiment with colors for me, that appears to have been a success But,I can say this has far more likeness than any of my other attempts.. Also, I am well aware that the lips are a bit to big, and I may fix it. Other anatomy issues I would appreciate if they were pointed out, are the eyes a bit big? Anyways, comments and criticisms are appreciated. :)

« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 01:43:16 pm by Malor »
Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Eh...Self that is not assured to look like me..

Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 02:16:59 pm
Did you use a reference pic? If so, may I see it? Also, yeah, left eye's too big, a bit too much dithering perhaps?

Offline gliding

• Um yea...
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 02:19:07 pm
Hi malor,
I don't know where your reference picture is, so I can't tell you whether or not your likeness has been captured in this particular piece. My main criticisms are in regards to the use of dithering (or overuse in my opinion), a few anatomical mistakes and the fact that the colours could have been a little more interesting or inspiring. The current piece has a darker mood (which i assume you were going for). I made a quick edit just to show you where i might have headed as far as the shading goes. I smoothed out a few things, fixed the lips  ( to the best of my ability), lowered the ear a few pixels and reshaped it. Hopefully a picture will be worth enough words to make up for the lack of my own. Good luck :)

This edit is no where near finished, it just serves as a guide to possibly follow or inspire future crits :

Offline Malor

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 03:13:27 pm
hey thanks Gliding! The lips gave me a lot of trouble, so I eventually just left them alone.. but I suppose I can fix them now. I suppose I did use a bit too much dithering..

EDIT:Fixed the lips, and messed with shading..
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 03:31:05 pm by Malor »
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 03:42:32 pm
Chins protrude; you've pulled yours back anime-style.  Your jaw is not puffy, nor do you have jowels.  Your eyes are not glued onto your face, sticking out the side.  Your neck is not a loose flap of skin that folds up. 

You've identified most of your lights, but them you've pillow shaded around them so that you look swolen.

You have a bit of a different view here, but i'm going to post the same sketch I did last time, since the problems are, well, the same :

A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Malor

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 03:45:03 pm
fair enough Adarias.. Although, in my defense that picture is over a year and a half old, and my face has changed a lot in that time, but yeah I know I am not very accurate. I must work on it I suppose.

EDIT: Right, redid the shading, and messed with the eyes, nose, and the lips a bit more.Still a bit of work to do..

« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 02:04:51 am by Malor »