AuthorTopic: Sylph Style  (Read 6633 times)

Offline Jace

• View Profile

Sylph Style

on: August 14, 2007, 07:43:16 pm
I am currently doing furniture, walls, and floor tiles for Sylph online but I see a problem with imitating the style of the current tiles made by other artists in the mock-ups below the indoor tilesets. Also I think there may also be proportion problems but I am not quite sure. I haven't been pixeling for too long so a lot of it is an experiment. Any help or ideas are appreciated.

The tiles are based on the Victorian Era though not all are dirrectly taken from that era.

Here are the tiles I have recently done:

Here are some current tiles made by the two other artists, which I need to imitate:

More tiles are at sylphonline.com/forums
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 05:12:08 pm by Jace »

Offline Fingerfoods

• Barq's Root Beer is delicious
    • View Profile
    • fingerfoods.tumblr.com

Re: Sylph Style

Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 08:22:06 pm
The thing I noticed most is that the heads look very squashed. You can see too much of the top, and it impedes on the space between the nose and the forehead, leaving little room for the large eyes.

Also the building in the desert pic has very sharp edges for something made of brick, and the bed near the beginning has very little detail. Everything else is good though, the colors complement each other nicely in particular.
Follow my blog!
fingerfoods.tumblr.com

Offline gliding

• Um yea...
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 08:44:30 pm
That grassy field with the trees is an outdated screen, although the others are more recent.

Offline Jace

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 09:51:49 pm
I'm sorry if I did not make this clear. I am looking for advice on the tilesets to make it match the current style of the mock-ups below. Nonetheless, I think the advice can be appriciated by the other Sylph artists. Another thing I forgot to mention or edit out of the tileset is the bed is not finished. I am having a hard time finishing it.

Yes, some screens are outdated.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 09:57:23 pm by Jace »

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 03:07:05 am
Watch your depths.  The mockups you're improving on have none.  Less of an issue indoors, but still something to keep in mind.  Your edges have been handled much better too.  Would like to see some variation in the patterning, and possibly more thought to scale, or is that a child there?
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Jace

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 04:27:10 am
No, that is the all-round character sprite size.
I've been fiddling with the furniture proportions a little but I am having a problem finding a good middle compared to the sprite size so the furniture doesn't look like it is something from a fun house. I will try to post a new edit to see if it is more in proportion. Style wise, are the tilesets cohesive with the mock-ups below? I worry because all of the mock-ups are made by two different artists who are also working for Sylph and the indoor tiles are the first work I have done for Sylph.

Offline Vertigo-zero

• http://boomers.onninet.com
    • View Profile
    • Boomers

Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 01:08:56 pm
Did anyone notice the palms shadow removes the ground texture :S
get what I mean?

Offline Ryan Cordel

• Hi! I'm Daisy!
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007, 03:02:26 pm
One thing I especially noticed with the characters, is how their ears aren't positioned right. From what I recall, one once said that the ears would start from the eyes and end somewhere at the nostrils of a person, but the characters have it way up, which looks very odd.

Offline gliding

• Um yea...
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: August 15, 2007, 03:44:50 pm
True from a head on view, however the perspective in the updated sprite (topmost one by the furniture) called for a higher ear to bring the eyes down.

Offline Jace

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007, 05:21:13 pm
I didn't attempt to post the newest sprites or mock-ups. As Glide said the sprite has changed and the shadow of the palm tree has changed. As I stated, the other artists appreciate the critiques on all the mock-ups made by them, and I do also, but that is not what this topic is dedicated too. I updated the first post to make it easier to comprehend what I am asking for. It is most likely my fault for not making it clear enough in the first place.

I am looking for critiques on the furniture, floor, and wall tiles because I feel that the style isn't cohesive with the current tiles in the mock-ups made by the other two artists. Also, I feel that some proportions are off and any other help or ideas on how to make the furniture, floor, and wall tiles better is welcome.

Edit:

I put an hour or so into trying out some cave tiles, here is what I came up with.

I thought I should post them here for critiques before I go any further. Obviously they are very mucky so far, but other then that I feel that they look more like a mountain cliff then a cave platform.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 03:57:27 am by Jace »