AuthorTopic: [WIP]Platformer Mockup  (Read 4029 times)

Offline SinX

• Pixel til' my eyes bleed
    • View Profile

[WIP]Platformer Mockup

on: August 12, 2007, 06:23:50 pm
I have been wanting to make a Platformer RPG, and I am finally getting around to it. I wanted to keep the style simple, yet cool looking. Any crits?

« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 07:25:58 pm by SinX »

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Re: Platformer Mockup

Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 06:57:07 pm
1. your status bars seems oversized compared to the items in the game
2. the golden coin make me think more at a shield than a golden coin at first sight. I'm not that convinced that a "X" on them is appropriate
3. the little hearts might have a more heart-shaped look (they're a bit suggesting a gem instead :P)
4. not so sure the blue-sky-raster is such a good idea with that little colours. I'd say a flat blue sky with clouds or hills would bring something more interesting

but go on ... don't fear to make the ground higher at some place: it will be more interesting to comment ;)

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Re: Platformer Mockup

Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 05:31:08 am
Quote from: PypeBros
1. your status bars seems oversized compared to the items in the game
Actually the status bars are rather fine sized, I just think the rest is too small >.< Maybe you should base drawing it for 2x display?
2. the golden coin make me think more at a shield than a golden coin at first sight. I'm not that convinced that a "X" on them is appropriate
The coins made me actually think mario~
3. the little hearts might have a more heart-shaped look (they're a bit suggesting a gem instead Tongue)
Because the hearts are not round shaped doesn't mean they look cool
4. not so sure the blue-sky-raster is such a good idea with that little colours. I'd say a flat blue sky with clouds or hills would bring something more interesting
The colour amount is just fine, but you need to dither far more careful. Yet you could indeed add background elements like cloads or distant strees or hills.

Offline SinX

• Pixel til' my eyes bleed
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP]Platformer Mockup

Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 07:27:51 pm
Thanks for the crit. I am going to up the screen size, and make a better background.

I am having problems with the coding right now, so thats my first priority. :D

Offline Vertigo-zero

• http://boomers.onninet.com
    • View Profile
    • Boomers

Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 02:51:20 pm
way too small to be playable :S but hey, you can always prove me wrong I guess..

Offline Fingerfoods

• Barq's Root Beer is delicious
    • View Profile
    • fingerfoods.tumblr.com

Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 03:32:36 pm
The overall contrast is too inconsistent. Also, the colors are all very pastel and significantly lacking in outline, making them bleed together a bit. Perhaps a bit of a  bolder shadow for extra depth?

Quick edit:

I'm not gonna take the time to shade, but you need to let the lines and shadows do the talking a little more than you are now. You can use that example if you want to recolor and shade it.
Follow my blog!
fingerfoods.tumblr.com