AuthorTopic: Run animation WIP and other stuff  (Read 2550 times)

Offline Bouzolf

• I'm a Quebecer, i like pink and I'm 14 years old.
    • View Profile
    • My PJ Galery

Run animation WIP and other stuff

on: August 12, 2007, 04:08:26 pm
Hello Pixelation,

I'm a little nervous about posting this topic because of two things: I'm afriad my English is really poor, I've learned it in video games  :crazy: and I'm new to pixel art.

I would like to have C+C on a four frames run animation:

...and just show you some other stuff:

1- Just a little caracter
2 - A vase with a tree I made to help somebody who started with this: http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/8475/arbusteah9.png.
3- A mock-up of a Zelda fan-game I'm no longer making.

Thank you for your attention.  :D
My English is poor, sorry about that..

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Re: Run animation WIP and other stuff

Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 07:36:27 pm
welcome bouzolf!  Some C+C for your dude:

1 - I would consider going with 6 frames instead of 4 at that size.  I think you will find that you can achieve much smoother motion that way!

2 - Regardless of how many frames you use, there are a few things I would keep in mind as you work on this piece:

3 - watch out for distracting lines in the motion - such as the 45 degree line shared by the extreme frames of each arm,

4 - you might want to limit the head motion to a single pixel per frame, like back-moving-front-moving-back instead of back-front-back-front-back,

5 - Your animation will be easier to distinguish if you do not just copy-paste and recolor the extreme frames to make the back leg and back arm - this will cause some confusion once you start actually coloring and detailing your character.  Basically, even though you have 4 frames, to the brain it look more like 2 or 3 - if you've only got 4 to use you really should make the most of them!  variety is a great way to start.

6 - a good way to test if you have enough variety in the pose is if you can still read the motion even if its a one-color silhouette or a rough line drawing...ben2theedge's recent thread has a great example of how to approach roughing in an animation: http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=4599.msg57614#msg57614

I hope that gives you some ideas for where to go!  Again welcome, and good luck on your pixelated journey :)