AuthorTopic: Buying a new monitor  (Read 6894 times)

Offline Doppleganger

• Fall!
    • View Profile

Re: Buying a new monitor

Reply #10 on: August 09, 2007, 03:30:20 pm
Actually wouldn't be that hard if you keep saturation down. As long as they're close to gray, subtle tints can very easily be guessed and will hardly clash. Super-saturated effects would require a lot of color understanding though.

That's very true.

I also was thinking about making a piece of art without using the lightness slider. Just hue and saturation variable, this would be a great excercise for people to learn the effects of cold and warm colors and how saturations makes them look darker or lighter.

That too is true. Would the lightness slider just stay at 50% or something? It'd make for a very complicated exercise for me as I solely use RGB sliders. Actually, it's all that the program I use offers.
I guess if the exercise came to be; I'd just download a promotion demo or, god forbid, use photoshop.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #11 on: August 09, 2007, 03:33:47 pm
Yeah lightness in the middle of the slider. And if you're not using HSL to pick colors, I think you should. Really helps the brain interpret colors like that instead of additive red, green, blue channels. A pixel artist of your caliber not using PM is a problem too, but easy to rectify.

Offline Doppleganger

• Fall!
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: August 09, 2007, 03:52:26 pm
I had PM for a while. Some company I was doing a job for supplied it to me. For some reason it didn't really click with me. I've been meaning to get it and force myself to get comfortable with it for some time. I guess that I've been using my current program, idraw3, for so long that it's hard to dethrone it. Even if it's inferior in most every way.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #13 on: August 09, 2007, 03:59:43 pm
Once you get used to PM you'll look back at idraw or whatever else and laugh.

Offline Doppleganger

• Fall!
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: August 09, 2007, 04:40:01 pm
I'm sure I would. :)

I'll probably pick up PM soon and mess around with it when I can.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: August 09, 2007, 05:49:30 pm
Mh, i've been using PM a lot recently because one of my computers doesn't have IDraw, and i've come to the conclusion that it is not simply nostalgia that keeps me using it.  Even now that I'm used to PM, Idraw is just so much more comfortable.  Mostly comes back to the fact that snapping and selections are clumsy in PM and intuitive in IDraw, and I never use the additional file formats offered by PM.  Everything else (palette, drawing) is pretty much the same.

The saturation exercise would seem interesting.  CMY get the big brightness boosts I should think, they have the most color for what's produced.  Dunno what would happen to the others.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.