AuthorTopic: Poppin Mockup Continuation  (Read 31908 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: Poppin Mockup Continuation

Reply #10 on: August 12, 2007, 12:59:39 am
This looks a lot like Minish Cap, you can't deny it.
just look at each of your tiles, the same style of rough grass patches, the same style path, same style trees, same style cliffs.. what was the point?

You mean the point of copycating someone else's artwork? Without telling people you're doing it, also? Is that what you mean? Because I agree it's pretty pointless and also misleads the userbase to not mention any reference one might be adhering too closely to. Don't you agree, Takam?

You look to be quite talented, so I'd recommend starting from scratch

If this sticks too closely to the MC art I will recommend the same and also I will ask you to not post art that is ripping something off ever on this board. Pending the actual screenshot comparison I will not make that call now. Investigating...

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #11 on: August 12, 2007, 01:01:51 am

Nothing directly ripped, nothing edited, you're just too close for comfort. Why didn't you want to mention you're using MC as a base of inspiration to us?

Offline JWW

• One unbroken chain
    • View Profile
    • IamJakeWW

Reply #12 on: August 12, 2007, 01:31:25 am
note: loosely based off of Minish Cap . Keep that style in mind.
didn't she?

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #13 on: August 12, 2007, 02:40:57 am
loosely?

Offline Ornust

• Nooblet. ;_;
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: August 12, 2007, 03:23:36 am
I had actually thought it was her sig below the wall of text, and ignored it. I think she should remove the line of Hyphens..  :crazy:
The Newbie's Newb.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: August 12, 2007, 03:42:25 am
Well i think the path has regressed a bit from the first version

The rocks have made noticible improvement

and yes; those trees are much too close (hadn't played the game so i didn't realise just how close it all was.)

As gras tiles though I see little similarity though.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Jericho

• View Profile
    • AppleLoaf Valley

Reply #16 on: August 12, 2007, 08:07:41 am
Wow I so did not want this type of complete and utter shit to break out over me or something I did.

@.TakaM: What are you talking about? The tiles are only similar in the simplicity of the grass. The cliffs and road/dirt tiles are -completely- different.

@Faceless: Well thankyou for not 'condemning me' but telling me something i made is 'shit' and 'ugly'..well that's just fucking rude and again no help at all. If you really wanted to help you could have given me examples of how I could IMPROVE..not simply of how I did things wrong.

@Helm:

1.Totally not my fault in any way if people don't read the full post. The '-----'s were meant to separate the note from the rest of the post as I know that a lot of people dont bother to read descriptions. How would you suggest I make it more noticeable next time b/c doing SOMETHING LIKE THIS just to get people to read something is ridiculous.

2.How is it not based 'loosely'?
Lets list the similarities and the differences, okay?

Similar:
Trees
Simplicity of the grass tile

Different:
Palettes
Cliff tile
Dirt tile
Plants
Dirt beneath the plant

So the differences heavily outweigh any similarities. I agree that the trees are too similar and will work to improve that. However I do not agree with how this was all dealt with. I remember a time when I could post something and if members thought I could improve..they would actually help me. Not simply tell me I was bad. In fact it was you yourself that finally clued me in to how colour ramping works and I loved you for that. There are always going to be assholes in life but the Pixel community seems to have become a nice sink pit for them over the past 2 years or so.  (note that this is not in any way against you, but just the animosity and rude comments i see members make sometimes)

@Adarias: Thankyou. This is the kind of post that actually strives to help. Any suggestion as to what I can do to improve the path? I didnt want it to be too detailed in comparison to the grass. And yes I'm going to try reworking the trees again. This is still a wip afterall. Infact here is an update:

Alice is dead. We cut off her head.

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #17 on: August 12, 2007, 08:41:19 am
I didn't say anything before, because I didn't have any useful criticisms, and I still don't - but why are we crucifying Jericho for doing something she set out to do in the first place?  She stated outright her stuff is styled after The Minish Cap, and it's good stuff. I don't get what the problem is.

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #18 on: August 12, 2007, 11:39:29 am
For my first post in this topic, I spent a while contemplating whether or not I should post, and once I decided I should, it took some more time to decide how i should word it.

After your response, the truth is I don't care how I word this, so I'll get right into it.
An elitist attitude is going to do you no favours when defending copping a style, sure you can list piece to piece differences and reference a "past Pixelation" that was so tolerant they'd let it slide, after all, you placed each pixel yourself.
No, I don't care, I shouldn't have to care enough to read your response and think, "damn, maybe that Jericho is right"
I only have to care enough to let you know I think you're wasting your time, because the first thing I think when I see this, is that someone is doing the minimal effort required to avoid a cease and desist, like someone making a zelda clone, cashing in on a fanbase, and coming from me that should be worth something.
Again, I don't care enough to word this better, less harshly, or more relate-able. This feels like a lost cause, and perhaps that's something you should care about.

Now I know your response is going to go one of two ways, either another angry conceited response with plenty of emphasized words and sarcastic remarks, or just accept that I think this is a waste of time, and making a big deal out of people's honest feedback is an even bigger waste of time.
But my response is only going one way, and that's out of this topic.
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #19 on: August 12, 2007, 12:16:02 pm
I think the path is far to square and angular...I mean, unless the guy who mows the lawn there is a geometry major.  I'd say some rounder corners and rougher edges on the path should do the trick.
The character...I'm guessing it's the character...melts into the surrounding background...it's got no contrast at all and fails to stand out.  I'm not exactly sure how you'd go about addressing that, but if it were my piece, I'd probably change to a more opposite color to green--like red or purple.  But if it's absolutely got to be blue, you might want to try some harsher/darker edges.
The thing the steps go into...it's much too...I don't know what it is :P...a log?  You might want to make it more readable :P.  If it is a log, I'd suggest throwing in a cut branch or two--always seems to the the trick.
The flower a square below the character: what's going on here? Zelda slicing or Harvest Moon watering?  Again, I'd suggest making it more readable.  And while on the flower/dirt squares, I personally don't think the little squiggles are adding much--if anything, maybe a Seuss-y thing, but other than that...bleh.
The trees look way too Zelda-esque, which sucks because they get the job done in this mock-up.  You should consider new trees to replace them...actually, the original trees you had were a perfect start!
And finally, what happened to the GUI? :P

Kind of a "fuck-my-opinions-on-morality" post, but hopefully it helps the art.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 12:30:58 pm by Rydin »
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.