AuthorTopic: Poppin Mockup Continuation  (Read 31673 times)

Offline Jericho

• View Profile
    • AppleLoaf Valley

Poppin Mockup Continuation

on: August 10, 2007, 09:04:18 am
I found a folder full of old stuff awhile ago and started reworking a mockup i started like a year or more ago now.

I started with this

and edited it into this

----

After some suggestions from people on Pj I'm in the midst of redoing the tiles aswell as placement. I've also decided to get rid of the building as..I just don't like it haha.

As of right now this is what I have

Things that need to be finished:

Water
dock
stone
apples
monsters/enemies

I'd love any suggestions you have on the tiles I've made (current ones..dont bother with the old ones obviously rofl), as well as what type of monsters to put in or anything else you think should be added/removed etc.

----------------------------------

note: loosely based off of Minish Cap :). Keep that style in mind.
Alice is dead. We cut off her head.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Re: Poppin Mockup Continuation

Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 09:41:13 am
very nice altogether, and your new doors are quite a success.
On your second picture, you might want to double-check the "vertical wall of dirt" and adjust the perspective.
(see the edit)

btw, i like how you get the minish-cap-style in your trees. If you could post a couple of comments on how you proceeded, i'd be highly interested since i'm not as successful as i'd like with my own attempt
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 09:55:53 am by PypeBros »

Offline Jericho

• View Profile
    • AppleLoaf Valley

Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 10:16:00 am
I don't think I have any progress of the tree but i can make another with some steps to show you how i did it.

As for your edits..I'm not sure shifting the view like that would really work simply b/c of how the game is viewed.

Just a quick edit using your tile. Although I understand what you were going for, It just doesnt look quite right I think.

Oh and did you change anything on the water part there? haha i dont see anything different xD;

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 10:23:18 am
doh. i thought it was a "right-wall" tile i was editting, rather than "left-wall" as on the mockup  ::)
they should be skewed the other way, of course. and the corner tile will probably require more attention (mine was a very Q&D edit  :D )

@ the water edit, i just skewed the ground lines a bit...

Offline Jericho

• View Profile
    • AppleLoaf Valley

Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 10:24:32 am
OH hahahaha duh thats why :
1.it looked wrong xD
2.i didnt notice any changes

silly me

Offline Alevice

• View Profile
    • DevArt gallery

Reply #5 on: August 11, 2007, 01:16:00 am
It looks way too much like LoZ: Minish Cap. I'm sorry I cannot be any more constructive, I mean, your skills are good and all, but your style seems almost like a xerox copy to me.

Offline Jericho

• View Profile
    • AppleLoaf Valley

Reply #6 on: August 11, 2007, 02:50:00 am
It looks way too much like LoZ: Minish Cap. I'm sorry I cannot be any more constructive, I mean, your skills are good and all, but your style seems almost like a xerox copy to me.

1. Useless comment. If you have nothing better to say to me other than it's too close to what I was going for in the first place then wtf is the point of saying anything to me at all?
2. The image is -based- off Minish cap. The tiles are -similar- but in no way the same. The palettes are 100% mine and nothing was down right copied.

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #7 on: August 11, 2007, 10:42:14 am
This looks a lot like Minish Cap, you can't deny it.
just look at each of your tiles, the same style of rough grass patches, the same style path, same style trees, same style cliffs.. what was the point?

It looks a lot like the whole time you were making these graphics, you made the conscious effort to make things look just different enough from MC, regardless of what really would've been better to avoid potential comments pointing out the similarities.

You look to be quite talented, so I'd recommend starting from scratch, don't use another video game as a reference, inspiration is all good, but this is more like the minimal effort required to avoid a lawsuit.
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Warwolt

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: August 11, 2007, 10:55:50 pm
Yo chill down bro,  hes just playing around with some stuff he found in his folder man  :mean:

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: August 11, 2007, 11:30:15 pm
She has completely remade what she found in her folder into a subtly different copy of TMC.
I'm not going to condemn her for doing that, but I will say I think the trees look terrible, and that in trying to differentiate from TMC's trees you've just made something that looks like a cheap (and ugly) copy. Personally, I think the tiles in this version were better than your current ones (especially the grass tiles), and that the only detractor is those trees.