AuthorTopic: Sax Himself  (Read 3111 times)

Offline Saxamaphone

• wut
    • View Profile

Sax Himself

on: August 08, 2007, 07:56:40 am

I'm actually pretty happy with this. This is the design of my personal character, don't want comments on how simple he is, that's why I look like that, simply for the fun to sprite/draw and easiness to remember.

I guess I need some advice on this contrast, AA, selout thing. I've tried it through the piece but I'm sure it can be fixed.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 06:51:42 am by Saxamaphone »

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Re: Sax Himself

Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 08:22:36 am
Go back and practice shading spheres. The highlight and shadow look like they are from two different light sources. Also, why didn't you
use a proper circle (this one is squashed on its right hand side)?

I prefer the version on the left. You're done well becuase it is recognisable. But the version on the right, are they shoes? You could do more
to make them look like shoes. Also, maybe orange shoes would stand out better.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 11:17:10 am by sharprm »
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 09:10:47 am

Is this ball gonna have to cap a gangsta? :ouch: Added contrast, changed the palette up a bit, made a definitive light source, man, I hope you animate this thing, that'd rule.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 09:14:44 am by bengoshia »

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 10:55:32 am

Made it a bit more spherical (a sphere will look the same nomatter what angle you look at it). Don't work on a white background in future.

-- lighting might look better with highlight towards top.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 11:36:48 am by sharprm »
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline Saxamaphone

• wut
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 06:49:41 am

Yes, "Sax" is basically a ball, but to give him more character, I usually try to shave a pixel side on the side that his other eye isn't really shown on the sprite.

As for lighting I basically was going by the way displayed in (2). But I guess I have to much darkness for that much of light to be recoiled on his face? I'm not sure.

And those are feet actually, not shoes, those were added on just for fun. I draw his legs way too cartoony, so it's hard to incorporate it into pixel form. I try though, and will go back and change it.

But 1 is more rounded version, I will go ahead and try to get a quick animation going or something to test it out.

Sharprm, as pointed out by a friend once, I usually would put shading under the red stripe, or then shading on the end of the red stripe. He then said, it's flat, so why put shading on it. I know you wouldn't of known this, but just letting you know for future reference.
And the aim was to keep the colours I had and only use the in-between shades for more depth.