AuthorTopic: I try making a run animation..  (Read 7630 times)

Offline Elrinth

• Hello peeps
    • View Profile
    • Elrinth's personal webpage

I try making a run animation..

on: August 07, 2007, 11:47:23 pm

The character is soooo quickly drawn is scary.. Anyways... something is wrong... I followed this template, but some frame is missing somewhere.. anyone know where?
Someone else posted this picture here... I don't remember who, but thanx in advance.. Anyways..

So, what to do with the run animation? :)
"Truly, if there's evil out there, it lies within the heart of mankind!" - Edward D. Morrison
Mai fav games: Seiken Densetsu, Rockman, Doom, Final Fantasy, Zelda no Densetsu, Metroid, Kid Icarus
Fav consoles: Sharp Twin Fami, Super Nintendo Jr., Wintendo Gamecube

Offline Stefano

• 10 different types of soup
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART profile

Re: I try making a run animation..

Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 12:04:03 am
The last frame appears to be missing, making your guy look like he is limping. In the missing frame, the darker leg should stop touching the floor and the lighter one, stretch far to the front preparing to land the next step.
Pretty much like the 3rd "RUN" frame in your reference, but mirrored.

The same frame is missing in the picture. Did you just trace over it?

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 12:16:29 am
yeah, that picture (a great reference) does not begin and end where a cycle would, they are 5-8 frames of 10 frame cycles. you need to put a *little* more thought into an animation than just tracing.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Elrinth

• Hello peeps
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 12:57:26 am
oh yeah lol.. now that I look closer one or more frames are missing.. hah ;) I'll have to use my imagination for the missing ones then, thanks for the help ;) wish me luck :D

ok... Here's a new one.. Still the size of the character on each frame is somewhat different :)

Next is to  do some more cleanup, and make sure they are the same size on each frame...

Anyone got any more tips?

and here's a character I've made.. The guy to the left is going to become the one on the right, but with the proportions of the one on the left..
« Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 10:37:51 am by Elrinth »
"Truly, if there's evil out there, it lies within the heart of mankind!" - Edward D. Morrison
Mai fav games: Seiken Densetsu, Rockman, Doom, Final Fantasy, Zelda no Densetsu, Metroid, Kid Icarus

Offline robotacon

• robotacon
    • View Profile
    • It Got Dark

Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 08:17:22 am
I can help a little.

I think frame 1 and 10 are the weakest right now. That could be remedied by copying frame 5 to 10 and frame 6 to 1 and then perform the appropriate switching of limbs.

Frames 5 and 10 should hit the ground. Animations look best if you take care of the contact points.
Frame 3 and 8 should barely leave the ground, you could even make these frames have contact to the ground, just remember to lower the 4 and 9 frames accordingly.

If you look at your head, it kind of moves in a twitchy circle, however the character is not leading forward in his step (well perhaps a little in frame 1 and 6 but in that case just a pixel) so the head should just move up and down.
It's easier to see if the head has a uniform shape. What I usually do is paint each limb a color of it's own and look at one limb at a time.

Here's a super fast edit:

Next up would be arms, try coloring one arm red and tweak it into smoothness :)

Offline Elrinth

• Hello peeps
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 10:40:16 am
ahh thx.. I'll do that.. :)

Offline Elrinth

• Hello peeps
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 09, 2007, 11:28:35 am
Ok, here's a bit more cleanup of the run animation and a bit of fixing on it. I simply edited robotacon's awesome one.
Here's the character I'm going to fit into the run animation later. As you can see, there's no face, because I don't know how to make one that looks decent ;) Maybe the idle pose should be something more cool..
c&c
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 11:51:27 am by Elrinth »

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: August 09, 2007, 06:58:15 pm
I do hope you know that that animation, as well as all of the ones posted in the tutorial are extremely exaggerate. Placing a 'normal' or not cartoony-by-nature character into one of those animations just won't look right. As of right now, I'm not sure what kind of style you're going for, but if it's not WB cartoon style, I don't think that's the animation for running you might be looking for.
If you want a more serious run animation, drop the amount of bobbing the body does as well pull the lean on the body up some. It should lean in a run, but not that much.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: August 09, 2007, 07:30:14 pm
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1200058447260450472&q=running&total=379816&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=3

a must watch for anyone animating in platform style and view.  There's even some running :P
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Zero

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: August 09, 2007, 08:26:04 pm
^Wow, it's almost like they shot the video for platform animation. :P Love parkour (and Rise Against. :crazy:)

Anyway, my two cents would be that you'll learn much more from making your own as opposed to tracing and copying.